How to highlight MSExcel change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a MS Excel file with 30 tabs relating to a separate issue. I update each tab as necessary. The file is viewed each day by one other. Rather than having to check every tab is there a way I can set the file so that it highlights the tabs which I've updated.

I thought of turning on track changes but I'm not sure if that'll hightlight each tab or discard the tracked change after its been viewed.

How can I set the file so that my daily changes (i.e. changed tabs) are highlighted when the file is opened, but then the highlight is discarded after its been read?

Sponsored Links
Simple method...
http://www.woopid.com/video/1431/Changing-Sheet-Colors

But then you and the reader will have to move your mice and click the button...

I could think of having a 'front sheet' reporting a named cell for each working sheet, in a list - perhaps a contents list !
For example, the updater, following some input, enters a character in a named cell..eg. "S_2" in sheet 2, the reader having read the info is required to clear "S_2" (cell) content.
The test at front sheet...

=IF(S_2<>"","New","Viewed")

If S_2 contains something then show "New" Else show "Viewed"

Simple rudimentary but may lead one to something better.
The full jobby vetting user input etc...

--

I've already thought of the first one about changing the tab colours, but the reader is a novice and may (will!) probably struggle with it. Your second suggestion sounds neater, I'm never done any equation type operations in Excel before, but I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if it all works out, or not!

Lightly tested...

Note the 'drop down' cell names for workbook... click on one to be taken direct to worksheet ...

Slight change of input - specific for 'Editor' not so for 'Reader'...

Add conditional formatting ...

--

Sponsored Links
Why not change the tab colour after you have updated, yes you are limited to colours.

what about simple radio buttons showing document changed and acknowledged

Back