How to hold down and seal kitchen sink?

This job was done as a favour to the daughter at her aged mother's flat. It was always going to be one that should have been avoided but I try to be helpful.

Her brother who knows nothing was buying the bits. The sink was found to be damaged and had to be returned. The tap was missing parts and had to be returned. The sink was apparently bought without any sealing strip or clips.

The kitchen fitter came from Holland and has now gone back to Ireland. He should have fitted the sink but all he wanted to do was to leave as quick as he could ! He has left the dishwasher not properly fitted as there are problems with the available space for it.

I was called to it yesterday as I was told something was leaking. Sure it was! Someone had undone the grub screw holding the tap together and the top was loose and leaking but they evidently knew something as they had turned off the isolating valves underneath. I can only assume it was someone trying to see if they could fit the sink.

The sink clips and tape had been brought and at first I thought that I was going to be able to fit it. However, I discovered that the clips assumed the underneath of the worktop would be accessible. Unfortunately the kitchen fitter had left horizontal bits of the units across many parts of the worksurface when the clips are needed.

The kitchen fitter had no knowledge of plumbing at all and seeing how he had fitted the work surface with no provision for clipping the work surface, I have now concluded that he is really a carpenter who was fitting a kitchen ( badly ).

Bearing in mind that these are Greek people with somewhat limited use of English and no knowledge of kitchens, it was inevitable that problems were going to arise which is why I had originally said that I would only do the plumbing and nothing to do with fitting the sink.

The daughter is a lovely lady and I would always try to help her however trying that becomes.

I am totally able to fit a kitchen for myself when I am in control of purchasing and installation. When dealing with four people who dont know much about what they are doing it becomes much more difficult !

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back