how to install a breakfast bar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

i am looking for your help....

i had installed a breakfast bar in the kitchen, attached one side on the wall (plaster boards with dry wall plugs for screws) and the other end with supporting legs. Unfortunately someone pushed the bar so one of the plugs came out of the wall so i will have to re-install it. What is the best way of doing it?

i was thinking to install a piece of wood with long screws (left over from kitchen wall cabinets) and screw the brackets (3 now not as before only 2) on the wood

What do you think? Any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cut away plasterboard to template of worktop plus an extra 30mm below and replace with ply which should span studwork [if there is any] and then fix timber support below to ply and worktop. If you just fix to plasterboard it will rip out [as you have found].If you have dot and dab fixed plasterboard replace cut out with ply to depth of plasterboard [flush] fixed to blockwork.

thanks my friend....

can i just secure the ply on the studs over the dry wall?

what thickness should i buy the ply?

should i place it between the studs or over the studs?

if i cannot find any studs? what should i do? the long screws are not enough?

any advice on what screws to use for the brackets for the table on the ply?

If you know where they are you can screw thru to studwork, but unlikely as you don't know is you have them. :?:
The ply should be the same thickness as plasterboard removed [12mm pb +3mm skim] around 15mm unless it's dot and dab.

Sponsored Links
thanks again mate

but what happens if i remove the plsterboard and i dont see any studs?

how will i secure the play?

would i have to add studs?

or is there another way?

blockwork? meaning bricks?

then i will have to secure the ply on the bricks correct? But the length would be enoormous wouldn't it?

if i find studs i srew the ply on the studs plus a timber support underneath or between the studs plus the support?

i am a bit confused sorry mate!

Poke a hole in plasterboard with a screwdriver and see how far it goes back .A large gap suggests there are stud to secure to, if the hole is around 20-30mm before hitting background then it will be blockwork a soft type of brick, so timber only has to be that thickness [i.e 20-30 mm plus thickness of plasterboard.]
This may help explain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2tWqtde5Y
Its another method of fixing but also shows you what type of wall you may have.
First half of this vid deals with fixing to studwork.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0t7Z8SUqhA&feature=related

thanks once more my friend

i will have a look

but if the studs are away from where i am willing to put the ply wood how will i secure it?

do i have to secure it over the studs or between them? and do i need a support underneath it?

The breakfast bar will be wider than any studwork so you should have at least two to fix the ply over, then you can add a timber support below.
Even one stud would be enough to get a firm fixing.

Thanks again mate

Do I screw the ply over the studs or try to put it between them? If its over I can do it over one stud if the other if far apart from where I want to install the bar

When we talk about support you mean the brackets for the bar correct?

A strip of ali angle, drill at 100mm spacing, will be cheap and very secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back