How to install Enkin in-line dimmer module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have replaced all the light switches and sockets etc on the ground floor of our house. I’m stumped on how to fit this dimmer module though.

Can anyone please talk me through how to install this.

I am not an electrician just a skint enthusiast trying not to burn the house down and leaning on the way.

C9074A3D-EA78-425F-A5DD-CE7BDDB47147.jpeg
56EA31B6-3AA4-4865-A667-DA6BAC07AF6B.jpeg
IMG_8329.jpeg
IMG_8330.jpeg
IMG_8331.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8332.jpeg
    IMG_8332.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Have you got a retractive switch module for that grid arrangement? A retractive switch is like a push button, it only mades when pressed,

Have you got two of the dimmer modules, or are you only wanting dimming on one of the lights controlled by this switch?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I have 2 of the dimmer modules.
When you say retractive switch you mean the the account light switch? If so it’s the toggle one in the picture?
image.jpg

I have replaced all the light switches and sockets etc on the ground floor of our house.
So (presumably) photos #3, #4 and #5 show the existing switches which you have installed/replaced.
Although the "wiring side" has not been shown in #4 and #5, these appear to be "ordinary" On/Off Toggle switches, controlling individual lights (or groups of lights).
(Please advise.)

I’m stumped on how to fit this dimmer module though.
Can anyone please talk me through how to install this.
According to
https://enkin.com/products/ss-en-00-idm250-enkin-in-line-dimmer
"The IDM250 In-Line Dimmer has been designed to allow for multi-point dimming of your lights, which works by converting a retractive switch or toggle into a dimming module with a neutral position.
By holding the retractive switch down you can control the brightness of your lights,
and
with a simple click
you can turn your lights on and off, allowing you dimming control from multiple switches."
(In my opinion, the above is not well worded !)

lists the "SGP316 20A 1 Way Retractive Switch", of which you say that you have two.

If the above is correct, that which needs to be done is as follows, (after disconnecting the "Supply")

Disconnect the Incoming and Outgoing Line wires - and the Interconnecting Line wire - from the existing switches
(Probably connected to the Common terminals!)
Tie these wires together and note for future reference.

Remove the Outgoing Switched Line wires to each of the Lights and note these for future reference

Remove the two existing "toggle" switches
and
install the two SGP316 20A 1 Way Retractive Switches.

Position the two IDM250 In-Line Dimmers.
(I do hope that there is enough space in the Back-Box, otherwise a "spacer" may be required !)

Connect (by "Daisy Chaining") the Incoming, Interconnecting and Outgoing Line wires to the "C" terminals of the two "Dimmers".

Connect each of the Outgoing Switched Lines (to the Lights) to the "L" terminal of one of the "Dimmers" - as appropriable.

Connect terminals "C" and "1" of each Retractive Switch to terminals "1" and "2" of one of the "Dimmers" - as appropriate.
(Which way around does not matter.)

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the help. All sorted and working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back