LED lights flashing when off, then dimmer module burnt...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After this forum has been very useful over the years, I now have an issue that I can't find a resolution to despite searching...

We have LED lighting fitted in our bedroom (GU10 style downlighters) which is operated by either a simple 2-way switch or by a dimmer switch. Recently, (in the past week) when using the dimmer switch, the lights would flash despite being 'off'. To stop this I would have to turn the lights on with the dimmer and then off using the 2-way switch. The other night this happened again and resolved in the usual manner, then around an hour later I woke up with a burning smell in the room coming from the dimmer switch. The supply to these lights has now been isolated at the consumer unit. It seems like the dimmer module has burnt out, but a fairly scary experience at the time!

Based on this description, would it be fair to assume that replacing the dimmer module would fix the problem? If so, would a faulty module have caused the problems I mention?

As an untrained person, would it be reasonable for me to replace the module? I think I could manage to connect the correct wires into the right holes, particularly as I can't get any local electricians interested!

Many thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
would a faulty module have caused the problems I mention?
Almost certainly, yes. LED dimmers are a bit of a crapshoot and probably always will be. Too much electronics inside!

Based on this description, would it be fair to assume that replacing the dimmer module would fix the problem?
Yes, unless it somehow took out the LEDs on the way out too (unlikely).

As an untrained person, would it be reasonable for me to replace the module? I think I could manage to connect the correct wires into the right holes
Yes absolutely.

I would advise you replace the dimmer module with a switch to allow you to have the circuit checked just incase you have a fault on the wiring or a lamp. It would be an expensive mistake, if you fried a new dimmer module!

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back