How to install metal palisade fence posts - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

I am attempting to divide a section of my garden off from the rest by means of a fruiting bush screen. It will need some fence posts, so I can attach wires and grow the screen up them. It needs to be strong and able to support them, especially when they put on wieight when covered with fruit (hopefully!)

I have got hold of some 2.35m palisade posts and wanted to use them, as the framework. Imagine a U shape with 10 posts forming it.

Never done any post work, so trying to figure out how best to fit them in. Here are some questions:
1) how deep and wide should each hole be?
2) how deep should the post go in (50 cm below ground leaving 1.8m above?)
3) will a quick fix like postcrete work, or do I need the regular bag of mixed concrete?
4) how much mix should I get for each of the 10 holes? (postcrete seems easier to use and buy in big form - how many bags per hole)

Sorry to have so many questions, but thought the palisade posts might be similar to wooden and concrete ones that most people use for the regular, neighbour boundary side fences. Any guidance woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
60cm in the ground sounds about right. Holes should be dug about 50 cm deep, then tap the first 10cm of the post into the ground (at the bottom of the hole) then you can level them up for height as you go. Make your holes about 25cm square and then I think that should take about one bag of postcrete per post. (I can't remember the volume of concrete produced per postcrete bag, so check this) Other people may offer different advice or conflicting advice to this, but that's my suggestion!

That sounds good me. Thanks. Better yet it sounds do-able by me!! I was thinking of maybe putting in some sort of rail between the posts to keep them straight and braced, and not allow my wires to pull on the posts when I tension them. How wide are the rails that actual palisade panels use? Can they be cut or adjusted or standard (maybe my angle grinder could get through to shorten them.) Or should I use a length of treated wood or an arris rail?

If one bag could fill one hole that would be perfect. What's the easiest way to dig the hole? I have heavy, wet clay soil, with lots or tree roots around. Should I hire a manual corkscrew type of borer or just pay extra and hire a petrol one? Don't fancy having to do 10 holes 60cm deep X 25cm square manually with a shovel.... and getting down on my knees to pull the mud out!

I'd just use some treated wood to keep them in line - I can't advise about palisade panel dimensions or rails.
The holes are 50cm deep, not 60cm, and are only 25cm square - that's hardly a major job. Just do one a day for the next ten days. You could hire a shuvholer if you're really keen (google it) but don't imagine that this is a massive job!

Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks for the advice. It's not a massive job, but then I'm not a massive bloke! I suppose I was fearing the prospect of 10, but you've got me all fired up to at least try one. I'll go for an inconspicuous one in the far corner in case I need to abort quick sharp....then I'm off down the hire centre for a petrol earth auger. Hope it's not a case of save the money or save my back.

If you plan to strain wires you will need to brace the end posts with a 45 degree support. against the direction of tension.

That might be tricky with metal palisade posts, particularly with 3 sets of wires between 4 posts. That's why I thought a single rail across the middle of each pair of supports might do the trick. It would keep the posts apart and straight for when I'm concreting the posts in. Instead of a metal rail, I thought about using a treated 2x3 wood. What do you think?

What would people recommend is best for holding these metal posts firmly in the ground - postcrete or concrete. I was thinking about postcrete originally, but it turns out I have 3 left over bags of Wickes mixed concrete, eft over from the summer. I think a bag might do a hole. Should I buy more o that and mix a bag per hole, or just do each hole with postcrete? Or should go for something else? If concrete is best I'd lie something can came all in one bag, not separately. Would it also be adding a spade extra of concrete powder (also left over bag) into extra hole mix?
Bit of a novice, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My son installs this for a living and they only use Postcrete. You might want a bit more than one bag per hole, but try the first one to see. He uses a post hole digger which you can buy at Tool station or screwfix and a grafter which is like a narrow spade for digging holes but has a long fibreglass handle on it so if you hit a cable you don't get a shock !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back