Metal fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace a fence that borders a small piece of land next to our house. Just bushes and trees on this piece of land which belongs to the council, however the land rises to a path which is around 6ft higher than our garden so I would ideally like this fence to be around 2.5m high.

Reason I want to use metal posts is if the wood rots in 10-20 years time then I dont have to go through the hassle of replacing posts again. I know concrete ones are good but they do break over time, especially if bushes are putting pressure onto them.

My original plan was to use posts from palisade fencing, put wooden beams joining them, and then feather edge boards to make the fence.

The posts are quite expensive, at least £40 each from the sites I saw.

First, can they be obtain cheaper?

Second, is it worth considering other types of metal posts like 40mm hollow box section?

Sponsored Links
Can you GET feather edged boards that high? I cant recall seeing them...

Sponsored Links
From a lot of fences I have looked at, people use the 2.4m, but raise them off the ground the width of one board and put a horizontal strip across the bottom.

The spurs are whats in place at the moment for half of the fence. Was a little reluctant to use concrete based spurs or posts but I suppose they are more durable than the usual 8-9ft concrete posts.... are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back