How to insulate an airing cupboard's external-facing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an airing cupboard where the right hand side is constructed against an external brick cavity wall (uninsulated). There is a 40W electric cupboard heater at the bottom of the cupboard, which ought to be enough to keep everything nicely warm. However, the air temperature doesn't rise above 23 degrees centigrade. I assume that a lot of the heat is being lost through the external wall.

So rather than buying a bigger heater and wasting more money heating outside walls, would it be feasible to insulate the side wall? If so, how? Would there be a risk of condensation/mould?

I'd be really grateful for any design suggestions - and anything to avoid!

Thanks!

Description:

The cupboard is 600mm deep by 1200 wide by 2000 high. There are three 44 x 44mm vertical timber battens screwed into the external wall, to which the front-to-back shelf supports are screwed - so I could get 40mm celotex into the gaps between the battens. But for anything deeper than that (eg incorporating a decent size air gap behind the insulation, or nailing sheeting over the battens) I would need to remove all the shelves and shorten the slats, which I would prefer to avoid.

Currently there is an air intake grille in the bottom kick strip, and room for air to escape via the front and top gaps around the 2x sliding doors. If required I could easily add a ventilation grille at the top of the left hand side wall, which is MDF, though not in the front (sliding doors to the ceiling) or back (internal brick wall).

We would like to be able to put damp clothes in the airing cupboard to dry if possible, but not if this would cause too much of a condensation/mould risk.

20181022_123630.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
40mm Celotex is a pretty good insulator equal to about 80mm of Rockwool I think that will be fine, if you want you could overboard with insulated plasterboard too, just give it a coat or two of paint to protect the paper facing.
I would not put damp clothes in an airing cupboard though you will get mould and all kinds of trouble!

the air temperature doesn't rise above 23 degrees centigrade
LOL.

What temperature should an airing cupboard be? :confused: And what are the things that need to be kept warm in such a cupboard?

Note: and "airing" cupboard is not a "drying" cupboard. If you put damp things in there where do you think all the moisture vapour that evaporates off goes to?

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off put a dehumidifier in than a heater to be honest. The heat is more likely to be getting lost into the house as much as to the outside wall. By all means insulate, but as above don't dry too much in there

If the landing or whatever is higher than 23°, I'd just leave the door open.

40mm Celotex is a pretty good insulator equal to about 80mm of Rockwool I think that will be fine, if you want you could overboard with insulated plasterboard too, just give it a coat or two of paint to protect the paper facing.
I would not put damp clothes in an airing cupboard though you will get mould and all kinds of trouble!

Thanks.

Should I leave an air gap between the celotex and the cold wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back