How to insulate ceiling under flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to convert a side extension / store room with flat roof and no heating into a living space / office.

Have checked the roof and no insulation at all. What would be the best way to insulate the ceiling which is currently plasterboard.

Just putting in a new heating system in and want to add a rad to this area which was a farm shop on side of house.

Sponsored Links
9 inches. Maybe a little more?

What are you thinking?? Kingspan between joists??
Was wondering about a vapour barrier? Where to put it?

would this be right working down.
Felt
roof boards
air gap - poss add breather vents in each run. None at present? needed?
insulation board
re - plastr board.

Where doeas the vapour barrier go?

Sponsored Links
What would be the best way to insulate the ceiling which is currently plasterboard.

Either add a warm deck system above the joists or, if you can ventillate, use insulation between and below the joists.

Any vapour barrier will need to go directly behind the plasterboard.

Hi

Easiest solution would be to 'stick n fix' 100mm of PIR insulation to the top of the existing roof and re-felt (asssumes that you have enough of an upstand).

May require the flashing to be raised.

Otherwise job done and not a lot of mess!

Regards

Just bung 9" of quilt between the joists and then use foil backed plaster boards. Old skool :cool:

woody

Not old skool but simply the easy, cheap, labour-saving , intelligent method.

Exactly what you look for in a solution.

Just getting around to this part of the project.

Queries.
I assume foilbacked boards act as vapour barrier. What do i do at joints to seal it?

Re 9 inch quilt, How best to hold it up in between the joists before boards go on?

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back