How to keep small external corners square and flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

How do people bond and plaster external corners around windows? Or small external corners elsewhere?

I can never seem to get the surface square to the other wall, or flat for that matter (because the surface is so small and with one end of the trowel scraping along the corner bead as a guide, i cant keep the other end of my trowel at exactly the same level as the corner bead across the entire length. I have resorted to using an engineer square to scrape along the bonding but obviously i cant do that with the plaster.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
May not be quite the question you’re asking, but another option is to put a thin coat edge bead up against your window. It will allow the skim coat to be more even on the window reveals etc as you have two edges for the trowel, and not just the corner bead to work off.

How to make a reveal gauge.

Get a small piece of wood, say, 30mm x10mm, cut it just a little longer than the reveal width, then tap a panel pin a LITTLE way into the end of the piece of timber, you're then ready to put your plaster onto the reveal/soffit. When you've put the plaster on, run the timber "reveal guage" gently up the side of the reveal, with the small panel pin running GENTLY up and around the inside edge of the window frame, and the other side running on the corner bead.
We did this years ago, long before corner beads were ever invented. Just make sure you make the gauge to look square on the reveal.
So to recap, make the gauge, (takes about 5 minutes), the put plaster onto the reveals/soffits, as you go, then run the gauge gently up the reveals/soffit, filling up any low spots as to go. You may have to do a small amount of fiddling at the top and bottom, but that's not a problem. Do one reveal/ soffit as you go, at your own speed until to get used to doing it this way. Use a twitcher on the internal corners at the top of each reveal where it meets the soffit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I remember telling NicB 99 of this same method a few years ago Darrington.

Do you remember that NicB.99?

Plaster one face one day, and the other face the day after?

Sorry for the late reply guys i didnt get the email notifications and only just remembered i posted this.

May not be quite the question you’re asking, but another option is to put a thin coat edge bead up against your window.

What a fantastic idea. Much appreciated.

How to make a reveal gauge.

Again a great idea. Thank you for the info ill deffo look at that

Do you guys have any pictures of the reveal guide? Ive googled it but cant find anything like you guys described, u less im picturing it wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back