How to make it look half decent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the cost involved in terms of soil removal, skip hire, more gravel etc, i have decided to only make a channel for my car to park on.

Basically i have a rectangle area of soil next to a tarmaced drive and in order to fit another car on, one side of the cars tyres ends up on the soil creating a muddy mess, so my plan was, to cut a channel out where the tyres would drive on and do it that way, therefore less soil removal etc etc.

The only thing is, is how can i make it look at least half decent? On one side of the soil is a fence and the other side is tarmac with a concrete edging block, im wondering what or how it would be best to seperate the channel from the surrouding soil in terms of edging, and also what should i put on the surrounding soil to make it look presentable? Bark or something?

Sponsored Links
image.png
You can lay these where you will drive over.you can then put grass seed in the soil,this will then grow back like a lawn and you can mower over the top with your lawn mower.You get a nice neat lawn.You will need a hard core base before you seed on top for good drainage.

View attachment 104499 You can lay these where you will drive over.you can then put grass seed in the soil,this will then grow back like a lawn and you can mower over the top with your lawn mower.You get a nice neat lawn.You will need a hard core base before you seed on top for good drainage.
The car will be parked there most of the time so grass wont grow

Unless you are the sort of person who goes to work every day in his car.

Sponsored Links
Before you speak think about other options.

This is a second car i will be using on weekends, i have another car.

Use a wooden formwork and put a concrete strip in to park on, edging could form the other side of the shutter. Bark or gravel can tidy up the rest, lay a weed membrane first though, and any weeds that do sprout can be easily removed.

Use a wooden formwork and put a concrete strip in to park on, edging could form the other side of the shutter. Bark or gravel can tidy up the rest, lay a weed membrane first though, and any weeds that do sprout can be easily removed.
Thank you this helps, with regards to the concrete strip though what do you mean? Slabs?

I'd personally lay some concrete, put some hardcore down and then a 4" thick layer of concrete. Depending on how much you need, either mix yourself, hire a mixer or if you need loads, readymix.

Wet concrete needs a shutter (or 'edge'), something to hold it in place. You can use the concrete edgings on the drive for one side, the a plank of wood the right height the other, remove when concrete has set and fill remaining gap with soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back