How to make new soil connection into existing stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question, to join a standard soi pipel to the stack, do I have an option to drill into the stack to join the soil pipe or do I need to cut away part of the stack and fit a stack section which has the required connection? I would like to think there are systems out there to allow me to drill into the stack and push fit the new soil pipe into stack? Is this possible, only it's goiing to be such a confined working space where my stack is. thanks for any advise... :?: :cool:
KS

Sponsored Links
I take it you have a plastic stack? You have 2 choices, 1. Cut out a section and replace with a short boss pipe. 2. Fit a Strap Boss, (Screwfix item 49547). Cut a hole appropriate size in stack, glue the Strap boss on firmly. Insert the appropriate rubber adaptor to suit size of waste pipe you are using.

No opposite connection allowed for 200mm below centreline of W.C. branch entry to avoid crossflow when W.C. is discharged.

Hi,
thanks, that's great news. I thought I had only seen these for smaller waste pipe and not the 110mm soil size. It makes the job a whole lot easier, thanks for the advise.
KS

Hello Hugh Jaleak,
If you read this, perhaps I confused the issue. The soil (for WC) will be 110mm in diametre, I think all the strap on boss fittings for the stack are for smaller waste water 30-40mm pipes and not the WC 110mm type? Its not always clear to me when I check srewfix or other sites.
..probably need to get down to these places and ask the questions...
thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
Question, to join a standard soi pipel to the stack, do I have an option to drill into the stack to join the soil pipe or do I need to cut away part of the stack and fit a stack section which has the required connection?
You need to fit a double socket branch, such as this:

View media item 217
I would like to think there are systems out there to allow me to drill into the stack and push fit the new soil pipe into stack? Is this possible, only it's goiing to be such a confined working space where my stack is. thanks for any advise... :?: :cool:
KS
I don't think you've thought about your question. You seem to be asking if you can drill a 110mm diameter hole in the side of a 110mm pipe. :rolleyes:

Hello Chap, my apologies. I dont know why on earth I said that, your question was straightforward. Looks like ive put the answer to someone else's question on your post. Durrrr....

Right. Your only option im afraid is to cut a section out of the stack. You will need a 110mm junction and 110mm slip coupling. Cut a section out to accomodate the junction, chamfer cut edges top and bottom. Slide slip coupling down completely onto bottom section of existing pipe. Insert junction then slide slip coupling back up onto spigot of junction outlet to seal the joint. Plenty of lubricant needed to help the process.

I appreciate this is going to be difficult if access is limited, but im afraid its the only way of doing it.

...but im afraid its the only way of doing it.
There is an alternative if the top section of stack has upward movement, which is to fit an ordinary (i.e not a slip) coupling.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd advise you to add a pipe support clip or two, around the area of the new joint.

Edit: "clip", not "slip". :oops:

Hi,
thanks for all the assistance, I thought this may be the case (strap on boss are for smaller waster only). I think its worth my effort giving it a go (adding correct joint to stack for 110mm connection) rather than going down the maccerator route (ie smaller diametre waste) and using even more of the earths resources in powering it.. Thanks again great advise!
Simon

You can also get "Fernco" connectors - rubbery things with jubilee clips, with a 110 branch. Ugly and I've never used one for what you're doing, but might be worth considering in a tight spot.
WIll look for a pic...

image2.jpg

Thanks all, I finally got this job done a few weeks back with my dad. we cut the stack above the existing connections from the downstairs kitchen. We then fitted the new branch piece straight into the socket which was just below the floor screed. We took out part of the kitchen cabinet to get access. Above the new branch we fitted a flexi rubber cuppler to join back to the stack, we were unable to fit a sliding push fit coupler, too tricky to slide up the stack. Biggest mistake we made was not really securing the stack after we cut a chunck out.... you guessed it the stack dropped! It wasn't secured with any brackets! 2 hrs later we managed to fit back in situ otherwise we would have needed to gain access to the floor void which would have meant taking part of ceiling down or removing bath and cutting into floor boards! All in all took a day to do..

b4;
View media item 1463 View media item 1464 View media item 1465

AFTER;

View media item 1466 View media item 1467 View media item 1468

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back