How to make shower cubicle water tight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im installing a new shower cubicle and was wondering if I need to coat the moisture resistant wallboard with anything before I tile on top. Does the tile adhesive, tiles and grout provide a good enough water barrier?

Sponsored Links
MR plasterboard will resist some water and shouldn't be as susceptible to mold growth as ordinary stuff but it isn't water proof. Tiles and grout etc are not waterproof and will allow water ingress.

It depends on the type of shower and how often it is going to get used. If you have a power shower or like me have an unvented hot water cylinder and very high supply pressure then waterproofing is a good idea.

When I did my en-suite I used tile backer boards but still used a membrane. It added a couple of hours and a hundred quid but now I know my shower will never leak.

or you could do what 1000's of new home builders do (including the major house builders) and go on plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
yep, and you'd get what thousands of new homeowners get; leaks, knackered plasterboard and the realisation that your brilliant 10 year insurance backed guarantee that reassured you when you bought it doesnt cover a thing thats useful.
or you could spend 40 quid and not worry.

yep, and you'd get what thousands of new homeowners get; leaks, knackered plasterboard and the realisation that your brilliant 10 year insurance backed guarantee that reassured you when you bought it doesnt cover a thing thats useful.

Tpt....ssshhhhh.....

This guy in keeping you and me in a job....

TPT I know we've had this conversation before. Are you telling me on a site of say 250 new apartments/homes that they will all fail? Is there a national problem of failed tiling across every new build/refurbishment????????

To the OP I can assure you in the years i've been doing this i've never seen an Architect specify MR Plasterboard in a light use domestic bathroom.

You can take my advice or TPT's entirely up to you.

Whilst were here TPT I seem to recall recently that if anyone gave advice on tiling on tile or painted walls you created a seperate thread pleading with people not to do that under any circumstances. Are you aware that there is a British Standard covering both these practices???? Let me repeat that, a BRITISH STANDARD covering tiling on existing tiles and painted walls. So are you now saying that those that make up the BRITISH STANDARD are also cowboys???

Tpt....ssshhhhh.....

This guy in keeping you and me in a job....

zzzzzz

Oh I forgot if anyone gives different advice on here Tictic don't like it as he wants to be top dog on DIYNot forum LMAO pathetic

Whilst were here TPT I seem to recall recently that if anyone gave advice on tiling on tile or painted walls you created a seperate thread pleading with people not to do that under any circumstances. Are you aware that there is a British Standard covering both these practices???? Let me repeat that, a BRITISH STANDARD covering tiling on existing tiles and painted walls. So are you now saying that those that make up the BRITISH STANDARD are also cowboys???

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/tiling...cle-water-tight.354970/#ixzz2QTcfkSrp[/QUOTE]

I know this is an old thread but i've just seen this. you must be mixing me up with someone else?? which post are you referring to?

well I for one am with TPT and Tictic ( davie ) on this, plasterboard or even moisture resistant plasterboard would not be my choice. Don't know how many shower cubicles and over the bath shower walls I have had to repair over the years due to tiling over pb, and water ingress.

Amsie, you make reference to new build houses and tiling over pb, you are 100% correct mate, BUT new builds are done in the cheapest possible way, to look very nice to the prospective buyer. A company does not say to an architect, OH I want to build new houses BUT I want the bathrooms done so the buyers will have no problems with water ingress in the future.

That's why there are such things on the market now, such a aqua panel, hardie bcker boards, tanking systems etc. They are now on the market because someone realised the faults that can arise using pb, so obviously they brought out something that could be used to remedy the problems.

That's why Davie is damn good tiler, knows all aspects of his job, and TPT knows all the materials available, and whats suited to which job.

I have no problem with you, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, but in his case it is you who is 100% wrong, this is the 2nd time I have seen you post an answer to someone, only for that answer to be totally wrong. Please think before you give advice about something, otherwise someone could end up making mistakes and having problems that could have been avoided, had they not listened to our wrong advice
Rant over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back