How to measure and build a new staircase...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have a task on my hands but i fear i have overestimated my abilities... And i can't just admit to my wife that i feel defeated.
I need help measuring and calculating the new staircase so i don't screw up.
It starts with left winder then straight up to landing left turn and straight up. I need to understand how to measure it correctly.

I have all the materials and tools that are needed for the job except the one that types this is a bit dull.. Have 3 books that explain a lot but not fully i have a lot of experience in diy and beyond and so far i have done half the house renovation on my own.
I don't have the money for traders because of the covid as self employers had a bit of ruff time and my kids are starting to hate the ladders..
Much appreciated...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
xYP5DQn.jpg

zqq9icZ.jpg
pvErF9M.jpg
93ipLLQ.jpg

I see very scary...
FFL to FFL - 2652 (Rise)
Run - 3035
Headroom is more than enough to please code 2400 being the lowest point measured from old stairs and new ones will match pretty close anyway. (2m minimum)
Am i right to assume this if not i will need to add headroom calculations.

This is what i came up with
2652/220=12.05 (220 is maximum permitted rise)
2652/12=221 (too big)
2652/13=204 (good in limits)
So 13 steps and rise 204mm
13*204=2652mm (confirmed)

Tangent of 42 - (bein max permitted pitch angle on Domestic staircases)
204/42 tan =226.56
Round to 227
227*42 tan =204.39
Rise = 204mm Going 227mm

Formula (2R+G=550-700)
2*204+227=635 (Dimensions between rise and going satisfies code 550-700)

Next should be headroom calculations but in my case it is not an issue at all.
Is this correct or am i not getting this right?

Solid pine stringers 44mm
Solid pine risers 20mm
Engineered pine treads 27mm
Newels 90mm/90mm
Square pine balusters

Your maths may be better than mine, or not.
Anyway, I did the basics - rise, going, number of steps etc then I drew it on the wall to make sure it worked in practice. Then I positioned a stringer against the wall in the right place (fortunately mine was just a straight run) and marked all the treads and risers before getting the router going. I ended up with a great staircase, very satisfying when you hammer those wedges in and you hear that noise that tells you they're nice and tight.

Sponsored Links
Your maths may be better than mine, or not.
Anyway, I did the basics - rise, going, number of steps etc then I drew it on the wall to make sure it worked in practice. Then I positioned a stringer against the wall in the right place (fortunately mine was just a straight run) and marked all the treads and risers before getting the router going. I ended up with a great staircase, very satisfying when you hammer those wedges in and you hear that noise that tells you they're nice and tight.
Not a bad idea i would be happy with just a straight flight up... I got a bit of a help from a person who is skilled at this and hi said the calculations are good but it wont fit in the given space.. So after a while i got an option to stay in 42 pitch angle i have to have two left winders with 3 steps in each.
I am crying from the inside, words can't describe how terrified i am but obviously i have to keep my cool... I have no choice now anyway..

I used one of the many online calculators, just enter height and dimensions of opening and will provide all the measurements for you .

Approach a stairs company online, they will send you a quote with staircase design for free.
You just provide measurements.
I used starstairs a few years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back