How to mount gutters to pent roof log cabin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a new Tuin log garage but I haven't quite figured out how to sort out guttering and the Tuin guides don't offer any good ideas.

The problem is that the roof purlins get in the way of a run of guttering. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

You can see the purlins in the photos below. For now I have just left plenty excess EPDM draped over the edge (i.e. any rain will be trapped on the roof).

Sponsored Links
any rain will be trapped on the roof
Eh WTF?

The roof run-off should have an overhanging 'drip' below which your gutter should sit. The drip should ideally overhang the fascia by about 55mm. The roof should slope towards the run-off via furring strips etc.

Last edited:
I just meant that any rain would currently be trapped on the roof, so as to help explain where I am up to (i.e. lots of EPDM draped over the eaves boards). To trap the rain is not my strategy :mrgreen: Thankfully no rain is forecast for a week so I have time to figure out a guttering solution.

The eaves boards sit higher than the roof due to the design of the garage. So any guttering would need to be behind them, but then the purlins are in the way. Unsure if I should make small cut-outs in the purlins in which miniflo guttering could sit? What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Your water is all going to sit on the right side of the pics because it slopes that way, then the edge is higher.

From there it can only go forwards or backwards.

Looks to me like you need to lower the facia on the right so you can do it like Nosealls technical drawing.

The eaves boards sit higher than the roof due to the design of the garage.

The fascia should be flush with the top of the decking board at the eave and above the deck by about 50mm the other 3 sides to accommodate a fillet to prevent the water running off the sides.

Quickest way is to have an internal outlet going through the roof through the soffit.

I don't want to lower the fascia board as it is part of the design of the garage to have them level all round. I'm going to cut some notches in the purlins to allow a hidden gutter run behind the fascia board. Wish me luck!

You need to board out the roof to your fascia if thats what you are calling it, and then cut a 80mm hole in the lowest side and fit an internal outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back