How to move a dry line box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had my garage converted, with one of the new rooms being a utility room which has a fan.

I wish I had spent more time discussing with the electrician where he was going to put the switch for the fan, because he ended up putting it in quite an inconvenient place - it is quite close to some pipes which go to the boiler, and to box the pipes in (which I want to do) will mean that the switch is no longer easily accessible.

All I need to do is move the switch by around 5 cm and it will all be hunky dory. My question is, if I elongate the hole that was cut in the plaster board by 5cm, and move the dry lining box to its new position, only one of the yellow lugs will have anything to grip onto. Is there any easy solution to getting the other lug to grip onto something? Is one enough?

Thanks in advance.

Ackoman

Sponsored Links
When you remove the box, and cut out the plasterboard for the new location, screw a 100 x 50mm section of wood or plasterboard to the inner surface of the plasterboard wall ensuring the edge nearest the new box location is at least 15mm from where the box edge will be. Then glue or screw the section of plasterboard you cut out onto this backing piece. The 15mm overlap will give you a surface for the second yellow lug to clamp onto.

When you remove the box, and cut out the plasterboard for the new location, screw a 100 x 50mm section of wood or plasterboard to the inner surface of the plasterboard wall ensuring the edge nearest the new box location is at least 15mm from where the box edge will be. Then glue or screw the section of plasterboard you cut out onto this backing piece. The 15mm overlap will give you a surface for the second yellow lug to clamp onto.

Great advice, many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back