How to obtain instant access into hotmail.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently tried to get my elderly folks pootered-up. They are now on-line and are prepared to go as far as renewing library books etc but will not venture anywhere near the minefield (their terminology, not mine) that is the on-line transaction.

They do not seem altogether enamoured with email correspondence, which is a bit of a pity as they have lots of relatives and friends who they could annoy, er…I mean contact. Perhaps I have set their machine up incorrectly.

Using XP, going to START > email a request for full email address and password is made on each access. This is a bit of a nuisance. I think they are finding this a bit of a faff. On my own machine START > email shows a dialog box with my password blanked out and a SIGN ON button which when hit takes me straight into the Inbox. Any suggestions as to how I might set my folks machine up similarly would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Go via messenger, you can set it up to get straight to their inbox in 3 clicks.

Install messenger if not already on the machine and place a link in the bottom menu bar on the desktop next to start[Click One]. In the messenger box you can save the email address and password so that when the box comes up they just click sign in [Click Two]. Once signed in they click the email icon and it will take them straight to their hotmail [Click Three].

There are various other ways, setting a desktop icon to the web address but will still probably need to sign in. Another possibility would be [if they have one] te email button on the key board - no idea how this is configured nor whether it can be configured for webmail, may just be for software based email clients, outlook etc.

Thanks, Simon. What I did not mention was that the folks connection is only 500mhz as this is the maximum available in their area on the BT line. In fact it is currently running at about 245 mhz – I am trying to determine as to why this is with their ISP.

Now I use Live Messenger (I have a 1 meg connection) and find that once the connection has been made it still takes two or three minutes to get to the inbox. So it seems that Messenger is a bit resource sapping. Also I am able to sign-on immediately even if I disable Messenger.

Sponsored Links
Broadband should be up round the 1/2/3 mb mark in most places now - 250k is pretty dire - has the ISP confirmed what speed it should be running at?
Sometimes it can be slow to get into hotmail from messenger, they fiddle around with it and change the interface and it seems to get slower. You could try setting it to run in classic version if that option is still available in hotmail - that should speed it up.
We had terrible trouble with our broadband at home, we were with BT which was great then went to orange. The first package we had was the wired connection with their own USB modem which was dreadful - we are very close to the exchange and should be able to get 4mb e/w. I then changed to orange's wireless router and instantly it jumped up to about where it should be.
I have no idea why and if asked I would guess it the other way round, but wireless seems to be quicker than ethernet connection.

Back