How to Open Close Coupled Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My toilet wont flush, the water is running straight through, so I want to open the cistern to look inside and see if diaphram is split or flush button not connected, but I can't figure out how to get the lid off.

Heres a picture...
toilet9jo.jpg

There is butterfly screws under it and I've drained the cistern and then unscrewed these and can't get it off, also I don't know if I should be trying to take the flush button off the top?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the knurled ring around the flush button and it will lift off.

joe

Thanks,
Easier said than done, I've tried...there is some movement left/right but it doesn't want to unscrew or feel like it should be unscrewing.

It scews into the flusher apparatus that is made of plastic. It definitely unscrews unless it has locked itself tight with lime scale. It's one of those jobs where it may unscrew or may break.

joe

Sponsored Links
Nice pic....smart bathroom ....but they don`t have diaphragms :cry: it`s a modern flush valve

oh me sir I know this one. Lift the buttons out 1st then there's a big screw inside. Undo that and hey presto. They are srcewed down to stop people putting bleach blocks in them, they foul up the workings. If the washer on you flush mechanism is bowed slightly take it off and turn it over.

Got it off...you were right had to lift the buttons out first then screw was inside.

Thanks for that.

A non-plumber said:
It definitely unscrews unless it has locked itself tight with lime scale.
A plumber said:
Lift the buttons out 1st then there's a big screw inside. Undo that and hey presto.
The clue was in the word "definitely".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back