how to paint sapele doors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have 4 internal sapele doors ( dark brown stain colour)..they are all different sizes..wes going to replace but find that the sizes i want do not exist ( in cheap hollow doors & cannot be cut down easily ), so i have decided the paint them..i would like to paint them in eggshell....so to get a really good smooth finish...what exactly would i need to use & do?...undercoat..primer ..sanding down etc.? any or none of those? any advice/help would be greatly appreciated...many thank in advance

Sponsored Links
If they are raw wood then a primer coat would be needed first. Rub down and apply an undercoat, oil based. rub down, then two coats of satin wood or Eggshell finish. I wood use a 4" roller and lay each coat off. Takes for ever with a brush. :LOL:

And if they are those pre finished ones then youll need to give them a really good rub down (in the direction of the grain) then a coat of super grip or problems solving primer such as zinseer..then finish as robbie says..

Sponsored Links
They sound like the ones I was talking about..you need the BIN primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back