How to paint wooden 'boxing in' in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've boxed in some pipes at ceiling height with exterior plywood (I had some left) and now it needs painting. My wife wanted it the same colour as the wall, which is being painted with Colortrend 'Ceramica' matte emulsion. How should I prepare the wood? I have brilliant white undercoat, but it's for use before applying gloss.

Sponsored Links
I've gone with some general purpose primer. Probably be applying second coat today. Then just go straight for the kitchen emulsion.

My confusion is borne from undercoats stating they're for gloss topcoats and I'm not glossing.

We want the boxing-in to be the same colour as the wall, so it doesn't stick out.

It might be too late but don't apply two coats of oilbased primer, use the oilbased undercoat for the second coat. The following day should be fine to apply the emulsion. If you were applying waterbased eggshell I would recommend waiting a few days to minimise the risk of fisheyes caused by the OB paints releasing their solvents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back