How to plumb incoming mains water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know / where to find of any best practice / regulations regarding the order in which to plumb-in the mains-incoming water?

i.e. should the set-up be something like this:

Should have.JPG

My house was extended by previous owners, > 20 years ago, and I suspect it's been done wrong. I'm renovating and would like to put right.

Currently - most cold taps, bogs, washing machine, outside taps (all dbl check protected ... now!) come out before the boiler. Meaning if we use the loo, flush, we then have to wait till it's filled up before we can get hot water.

Or pretty much do anything before /during trying to run a hot tap.

i.e. it's currently plumbed like this:

Currently have.JPG

It doesn't help that our lovely 32mm (or what ever it is) pipe from our on-street stop cock transforms into a 15mm under a concrete floor.... meaning we are restricted by the volume of water that can enter too...

So - I'm wondering if the hot taps loosing all flow when anything else running is due to things being plumbed in in the wrong order, OR the puny mains inflow pipe, OR a combination of both.

Cheers

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe is adequate,why not think about a new water main,they can be installed by a mole so not disturbing anything inside the house,I have used this method where the water pressure is to low to for a combination boiler but leave the existing main connected,one main to the boiler the other to the appliances, but first check with your neighbours to see what their water pressure is like.

It's not the pressure per-se, a single tap has considerable force coming out of it - it's when I turn on a tap of flush a toilet or use the washing machine - as soon as two taps are on - the one furthest away from the stoptap just slows to a dribble. Which made me think - should my important taps come off the pipe first?

difficult,plumbers never pipe a house thinking about which taps are more used,I have the same problem as my cold water mains supply feeds my neighbour as well,sometimes I can't run a bath or shower because my neighbour is using water,
occasionally in houses that have poor water pressure we fit a cold water storage tank in the attic ,so there's a constant supply of water.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back