Locating Incoming Water Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had Welsh Water out to fit a water meter and it's all gone pear shaped. The stop tap inside the property is about 10mm off where the incoming water pipe pops up through the concrete floor of the bungalow. Bless him, the WW chap spent about an hour with scanners, divining rods, you name it trying to find something, anything, outside the property to no avail so no meter nor am I any the wiser how water magically gets to the house.

Is there some means of stuffing a wire down the incoming water pipe that can be traced outside? I've tried Google but not getting any sense there.

Sponsored Links
A trace wire will go in but won’t pass an elbow.

Ask them if they have an RD500 (a thumper)

Is the current pipe metal? Should be easy to trace it by connecting a Genny onto it rather than putting a trace wire in it.

You should have a stop cock in the street somewhere ..... Check with your neighbours if they know where there's is

Had the same problem where the water board couldn't locate the incoming mains even with a Genny as it was too deep after a few hours digging through clay to locate it and fix the leaky pipe they gave up and simply installed me a new one!

Surely the water board should have records where pipes are located?

Had the same problem where the water board couldn't locate the incoming mains even with a Genny as it was too deep after a few hours digging through clay to locate it and fix the leaky pipe they gave up and simply installed me a new one!?

If they fitted a new pipe, what happened to the old leaking one?

Andy

Sponsored Links
If they fitted a new pipe, what happened to the old leaking one?

Andy

As far as I could tell from all the holes they dug they disconnected the leaky pipe from the external stop cock when they fitted my new pipe.

I just think when the team saw that my front garden is raised 4ft at one end and 3ft at the other from street level supported by a retaining wall , they couldn't be arsed digging down all that way!

Same problem occured when the sewer pipe collapsed and partially blocked mine and 3 other houses on my row , it annoyingly collapsed just after the inspection chamber in my front garden , the curses I heard when they lifted the man hole and realised how deep they had to dig!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back