How to plumb kitchen sink drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I usually do diy plumbing like compression fitting, push fits and changing valves and taps but it's a puzzle for me how to plumb kitchen sink drain.

The 1.5 drain kit came with the sink, I have attached 2 parts to my existing drain pipe (the black pipe) as in pic below and left with 4 parts as in the second photo marked 1,2,3 and 4. parts 3 and 4 are the same.

I put the blue cup on part 2 as don't need drain for washing machine or dish washer.

What to do next? In simple terms please. Any youtube vids? couldn't find any.

Thanks
drain1.jpg

drain2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Parts 3&4 each connect to the strainer wastes ,and can be cut if required to shorten the length ( particularly the one connecting to the deeper sink.
Part 2 connects to the long end of part 1. Once they are joined it connects to 3 & 4.
Remove the trap from the black waste pipe and connect it to bottom of part 2.
You then extend the black waste pipe ,using elbows and more pipe to meet the trap outlet .
You need to shorten the flexi overflow pipe ,making it like an L shape.

Sponsored Links
Parts 3&4 each connect to the strainer wastes ,and can be cut if required to shorten the length ( particularly the one connecting to the deeper sink.
Part 2 connects to the long end of part 1. Once they are joined it connects to 3 & 4.
Remove the trap from the black waste pipe and connect it to bottom of part 2.
You then extend the black waste pipe ,using elbows and more pipe to meet the trap outlet .
You need to shorten the flexi overflow pipe ,making it like an L shape.

Thanks for reply
Can I do as in photo? Then use McAlpine Flexi Waste Connector 1 1/2", photo attached to connect black pipe to the trap. Trap will be higher than the black pipe.
Obviously haven't cut pipes to size yet
Drain4.jpg

flexi waste connector.jpg

Last edited:
Yes ,you can if you wish .obviously trap outlet needs to be Higher than black pipe.

Is this in pic acceptable? Flexi pipe is stiff so was only way to connect. Pls don't be too critical.

I tried elbow but tedious, not enough depth.

Thanks

drain.jpg

It will drain ,but it doesn't have a continuous fall . The sagging section is likely to collect crud and start to clog up in time.
You may be able to swing the trap outward ,and turn the outlet elbow inward ,in order to get a continuous fall.

Yes ,that looks better ,hard to tell from pic ,does it now have a continuous fall or does it still sag ?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it starts to collect crud ,it's easy enough to take it off and clean it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back