How to prepare/paint an external brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I have a large wall at the end of my garden that i want to paint (as it's made of horrible yellow bricks that aren't nice at all!)

We are planning to use Little Greene masonry paint ( http://www.littlegreene.com/paint/finish/masonry ) as we've used LG inside and the colours and finishes are great and it seems very hard wearing (much better than the farrow and ball and as good if not nicer than dulux).

I have repointed the wall (since the pics below were taken) and am going to pressure wash it to clean (and then repoint again if necessary)

Once the wall is clean and free of loose mortar/holes how should i prep it before painting? Should I use some kind of primer, or PVA or a mist coat as i seem to be reading mixed advice (particularly given the bricks are have quite a lot of small holes as you can see in the pics)? From what i can see from Little Greene it says to just add 5-25% water to the first coat as a primer.

Additionally I was looking at the possibility of a not too expensive spray gun as i thought this would probably make it quicker and get better coverage given how uneven the wall is. Would you guys say this is sensible or not? I was looking at something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb561srg-700w-hvlp-electric-spray-gun-220-240v/11628 but there maybe something better out there (ideally don't want to spend too much)? Will spray guns like this work with paint that hasn't been thinned (for the top coats)?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Forget the spray gun and DO NOT PVA it :!: go with the watered down paint. and a medium/long pile roller

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back