How to prepare wood for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to decorate my hall/stairs/landing. The existing paint on the skirting boards and door frames is peeling off. Can somebody tell me the best way to prepare the surface for a new coat of paint? Should I use a heat gun to remove the old paint? Should I just sand it? I have seen different opinions on the internet and not sure which is the right thing to do.

Thanks,
Heather

Sponsored Links
Heather,

There is seldom a need to remove a paint system in order to apply another, so by sanding remove all loose and flakey paintwork thus providing a key for further coats. Run your fingers over it and be sure that you cannot feel any imperfections, if you do sand again not forgetting to dust off the paintwork.

Dec

Thanks Dec,

What would be the reason for the paint flaking and peeling off? I want to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Heather

The paint peels and flakes because the previous finish wasn't sanded before the coat was applied......sanding gives a key for the new paint to adhere to, as well as smoothing things down.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It could also be peeling I believe because it was never painted with primer from new. (Pros correct me if I am wrong here)
I have replaced all my skirting boards, architrave and some door frames in my house with new so I have had to sand, apply knot paint, primer, undercoat and then a couple of top coats of gloss with light sanding between each coat.
It you have gone back to bare wood you may have to prime these parts.
You can buy combined primers and undercoats in the same tin but I am not too sure if these are for satin coats only or if you can use it first then gloss over but that depends on what your painting it with.
Jase.

That last paragraph didnt read right there. I mean painting with as in gloss or satin and not as in a brush or roller!!
Jase.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm going to use Dulux water based gloss (as it's the only thing I can find that doesn't go yellow within a few days). So if I was to go back to bare wood, would I be able to use the primer/undercoat mix, then paint over with water based gloss?

Also, I have another question: :rolleyes:
I am considering painting the inside of my front door white, it is currently stained. I'm not sure whether it's ok to do this for two reasons:
- will the water based gloss stick over the stain?
- from your experience does a painted front door look ok? I've been told it won't look right but the dark red/brown colour doesn't match the rest of the room so I would like to change it. If not, do I have any other options for changing to a lighter colour?

Thanks

In terms of painting the door, use a coat of aluminium wood primer first (this will seal resinous areas and block any stains coming through) and then paint with oil based paint. There is a risk that if the paint chips, it will show up the stain, but as long as you are putting 4 or 5 coats of paint on it should be fine.

http://www.simmondsdecorating.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back