How to protect a block extension prior to rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls are up, the roof is on but our single story kitchen extension is taking a hammering from the rain and I don't think rendering is going to take place this year. We're probably looking at about 5 months before it can be done.

The window and door is going in next to secure it but I'm looking for ways to protect it from the elements.

When I built the office we used Tyvek wrap but that was timber framed. With blockwork I'm not sure on.

These are medium and heavy density blocks. I was wondering if there's not a spray treatment that keeps the breathability of the blocks but the water off to help them dry out that doesn't cause issues with applying render later on.

I don't think the blocks are going to dry off otherwise.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They will dry out in a matter of hours when the weather picks up. Moisture within the block work won't be an issue in any case.

Mines been up since 2021 with no issues. Still awaiting funding for rendering / cladding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back