How to protect a painted bathroom windowsill from scratches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just painted our bathroom windowsill using Dulux bathroom paint, it has had a couple of coats but i want to make sure the paint will be well protected as we want to store toothbrush holder, mirror etc on the windowsill but do not want it to scratch. I have already chipped paint off just by leaving a glass of water on there!

What can we use that will protect this paint best please? I am guessing varnish but i would have no idea what to buy.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Yes doileys would stop paint coming off but not really a fan of doileys, and as for the glass our windowsill is not perfectly flat enough to cover in sheet glass.
Thanks for the replies though, what i was really looking for was se sort of paint sealant i guess, any ideas peeps??

Sponsored Links
if you used a gloss paint, and proper primer/undercoat, the paint will harden up well in this sunny weather. It may take a couple of weeks to get fully hard. Try not to put anything on it until then. Thick coats take longer to harden.

'Dulux bathroom paint' sounds suspiciously like emulsion. If you paint a windowsill with emulsion (however tough it claims to be), it will scratch easily.

Thanks for replies, yes I think it is emulsion with a silk finish, surely though there must be some paint or spray on protective seal I can put on the sill?

Thanks for replies, yes I think it is emulsion with a silk finish, surely though there must be some paint or spray on protective seal I can put on the sill?

You'd be better off using a proper gloss or eggshell paint. Emulsion is for walls, not for woodwork.

Cheers
Richard

glass our windowsill is not perfectly flat enough to cover in sheet glass.

You put the glass on little soft plastic feet, so it isn't resting directly on the windowsill.

Although the obvious answer to a non-flat windowsill is to flatten it before decorating.

Alternatively Poundstretcher type shops often have melamine kitchen utenstil holders or even sandwich or garlic bread trays which come in handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back