how to put a fence on top of a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im pretty good with DIY and stuff but need some advice with this one. Our neighbour is hardly at home and his garden has been left for 3 years now, he has weeds growing about 6- 10 ft high and obviously completely over grown. In our garden we have a 3 ft wall around the property and I want to put a half sized lap panneled fence ontop of the wall all the way round to basically give us a 6ft barrier.

My question is how would I put the fence on the wall so that its supported? are their special brackets you can buy to drill to the wall that will then allow you to place posts ontop of the wall?

Any help or advice with this would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I think I would look at putting battens fixed to the wall, then fix the (I would probably use a trellis) fence. You will need good fixings for the battens.
You will probably get some better sugestions from the landscapers/buildings on this site

Also ask if he would mind you trying to keep it tidy. A good trick is to spray with lawn weedkiller or SBK that will kill everything except grass and established trees (so will save you getting weed seeds blowing into you garden) and it can be strimmed a couple of times a year if you feel like it.

Try to make him pay you for your gardening efforts (or plant stuff that you like).

JohnD said:
Also ask if he would mind you trying to keep it tidy. A good trick is to spray with lawn weedkiller or SBK that will kill everything except grass and established trees (so will save you getting weed seeds blowing into you garden) and it can be strimmed a couple of times a year if you feel like it.

Try to make him pay you for your gardening efforts (or plant stuff that you like).

LOL its hard enough for the wife to try and get me out there doing ours let alone someone elses! Nah its got to be fenced off, we want some privacy in the garden so would like a fence regardless of his garden in the long run anyway, so anyone else?

thanks so far

Sponsored Links
RichA said:
Please see:

http://www.metpost.co.uk/boltdown.html

I believe they cost about £8 each.

Only £5.99 in Homebase for the 3" ones, timber merchants will be slightly cheaper. I've been fitting some today on concrete, a bugger to drill precisely on stony concrete, and even more of a bugger to get these things level. Finished now though, this fence won't be going anywhere. A brick wall should cause no probs though.

Don't use the rawlbolts, use Thunderbolts, much cheaper and make a very strong fixing. Actually those guys can supply everything you need with a one off postage charge of £7.50. I just used them, good service.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thank you all for your help, I will give them a look.

Nope cant build a higher wall, mainly because the brick is weird like stone not bricks and also I wouldnt want to attempt to build a wall myself but a fence should be easy....hopefully :)

thanks again

I think the Council can make him keep his garden tidy.

The wall will need to be of sufficient thickness to take the metpost base plate, if the fixings are to close to an edge the first strong winds will pull out fixings and probably damage the wall, but if the wall is thick /wide enough the metpost fixings are good for your requirements.
Or you can use 3inch by 3inch wood posts and secure them to the face of the wall with rawl bolts / fishure fixings.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/lrgimg_popup.jsp?productId=18740&imageNo=null&ts=61241

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=100058&ts=61305

Looking at the wall yesterday its only about 4 inches wide so not very strong and we live at the top of portland in dorset so can be quite window and would need to be solid otherwise the first storm we get is going to rip off the fence.

I will have a look, maybe the the wood post idea to the side of the wall would be better, will have another look at the wall tonight.

have to say i agree with fencer on that one. You could also take the posts down a little lower into the ground to the top of the walls foundation to give an even stronger result against the wind

Yep, another vote for that idea! You could use metpost spikes to fix the posts down in the ground against the wall, then bolt through or use 'L' brackets to fix post to wall. Should do the trick.

Deluks said:
Yep, another vote for that idea! You could use metpost spikes to fix the posts down in the ground against the wall, then bolt through or use 'L' brackets to fix post to wall. Should do the trick.

Might find it difficult to get the met post spike in due to wall footings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back