how to put a wooden fence on a cornish stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone has an answer for us. We have recently moved to a property which has a 4ft Cornish stone hedge separating our back garden from a pavement...we have people walking past looking in all day and we want to make it private and to make our children safe. Ideally we want to extend the wall with a wooden fence making it 6ft in total. How would we attach a wooden fence to the top of a stone hedge making it strong against the wind....any help would be great, thanks.Meg

Sponsored Links
Firstly, be aware that fences next to the highway can only be 1m high according to planning rules, so a chat wit t'council might be in order.

Secondly, while I am not au fait with the term 'cornish stone hedge', if it is a dry stone jobbie then you will have to sink posts into the ground and attach to those. If it is a sound, mortared wall you may be able to use thru-bolts to attach posts to the wall, but due to the kobbly nature of a stone wall, you will find even this tricky.

if its a proper cornish hedge it will only be stone on the outside, i have put fence posts in the top of mine.
or better still plant hawthorn on the top to keep the ****** out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back