How to put router somewhere else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Bt came and installed the WIFI and the little white box (what is name of it?) And the router.

They installed it in the bedroom as was closest place from the wire on the poles.

However when my Mrs found out she was not happy with me at all. She doesn't want the router next to where she sleeps.
But what can I do now? Is it too late? Is there anywhere to put the router in the living room via an extension? Do I need to get BT back out?

Sponsored Links
Unless you sleep in a Faraday cage there's no escaping electromagnetic fields, especially if you live in a town or city.

If it makes a whining noise that puts her off sleeping, move it easy enough

If it's just the flashing lights out tape on them

To move it, get a longer wire that goes from router to socket and drill it through a nearby wall, floor etc and put the router elsewhere convenient

For more advice tell us the reason the wife objects to a close router

Sponsored Links
Picture of the kit would help identify. Is this a fibre to the premises install or a fibre to cabinet?

Why on earth did you allow BT's proxy installer (Openreach/Kelly et al) to install in the 'closest place' (to suit their laziness) rather than where you need the device(s) to be for connecting stuff?

Installers don't install WiFi. They install wires/fibres. The installer may connect up the modem-router that provides WiFi... There is a difference.

It is always possible to relocate at least some of the kit... but exactly what may depend on what has been installed.

It may be worth asking your ISP (BT presumably) about having it all relocated...

My wife just said she doesn't want it right next to her head while sleeping. Also thinks it would be better to have it somewhere else in the house anyway.
It's a mistake that's cost me £60 to get it repositioned and also to have to wait longer and more inconvenience.

Think it's fibre to premises. Wire goes straight from pole into bedroom, into a white box with the router next to it.

Someone mentioned I could just buy a extra long cable and take it though the house to wherever she wants it. Can you just buy those cable on amazon? What are they called?

We have electricians in at the moment doing rewiring. Maybe it's easier and faster to just just buy a extension cable and ask them to drill a couple of holes?

Show us a picture of the box on the wall that inhibits the movement of the router, a picture of the cable between the box and the router, and a picture of the router

It's a mistake that's cost me £60 to get it repositioned and also to have to wait longer and more inconvenience.
Sounds like you're paying to have the terminating equipment moved. Probably unnecessary

Maybe if I just buy a 25 m ethernet cable and move router some other place wouod that would? Would a Cat.6 ethernet cable work or have to buy a cat.5 one?

Buy a timer socket so it switches the router off late in the evening and back on in the morning

1000013749.jpg

can I not just buy a longer ethernet cable and move router to a place my wife is happier with?

Sponsored Links
Back