Connecting old router to main router to extend network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Netgear router to access Sky, who I get my service from but my router is in our attic conversion where I prefer it beside the computer. The trouble was that this means the wireless signal was virtually nonexistent in our lounge, basically 2 floors down so I googled the problem and possible solutions on the internet and first bought some Powerline adaptors (you know the ones that work through the house wiring) which are ok but the trouble is the wireless unit is not capable of broadcasting a signal beyond the room it is in.

It works fine in the lounge but leave the room and its gone. Really cannot understand why they didn't make them so that they give the same wireless range as a router.

Anyway I then found out you could use a second router if you have a spare to extend your range. So I tried this and it works great so far as I can tell, early days yet. Most pleasant part is that my mobile is super fast now whereas before we always had weak mobile signals and weak wifi signals in the lounge and no wifi in the kitchen where it is strong now.

This is one of the links I used to tell me how to do it.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/do...heap-with-a-second-wireless-access-point/1585

I did find it odd that you link the 2 router via the WAN ports (I assume that is the correct term) but it does work.
Anyway after all that my question is how do I access my second router on my PC like you do when you access a normal router typing in 192.168.0.1 or something similar and putting in the password?

I know how to access router normally through a browser and I realise I can disconnect my second router and temporarily connect it back to my PC to access it but is there a way to access the 2nd router through a browser with disconnecting anything? I looked up all attached devices in my main Netgear router settings and tried all those IP addresses but nothing comes up in the browser,I assume because of the way the routers are connected but is there a way to do this?

I realise also I could swap the leads over at my PC/main router end but this is fiddly with my layout and the best is obviously to just access router set-ups on the browser.

Any ideas?

Any help or info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the same sort of set up, you need to change the IP address of the second router to be different to the first, then you access it as normal.

I have 192.168.1.254 for the main router and 192.168.1.253 for the secondary one. Therefore to log into the secondard one I just point my browser at it's IP.

You may need to initially disconnect the main router to enable you to access the second one.

Thanks for the reply, can you guide me to where I can select IP address to set in the router menu system?

Do I select Lan IP setup or should I be looking a different heading, can't quite spot where I set the IP. In Lan IP Setup, under this heading I see Lan TCP/IP Setup as sub heading, and then under this it says IP address 192.168.0.1 (this is all on the menu system for my main router)?

The only thing with what you are telling me is, within the menu system of my main Netgear router there is a heading Attached devices and in here I can see my attached devices like my PC for instance which is 192.168.0.4 if I read it right, so I can also see what appears to be my 2nd router which if it is is coming up as 192.168.0.6 but I tried all the IP address in the Attached Devices in the browser and nothing comes up like it does when you access the main router in the browser, shouldn't it come up doing that?

I will try what you suggest but just thought to mention what is happening in case you had any ideas on it.

The netgear IP setting is the first IP setting under LAN IP setup, you need to leave that one alone. That router should be set to DHCP off.

The 2nd router (you do not say what make/model - they have different settings).

You need to connect to this one by cable - perhaps disable the other one first.

Its IP setting will be in a similar location if you can access the setup.

Set it to something like 192.168.0.250

If you call the SSID the same with the same password on both then no matter where you are you will have wifi access.

Sponsored Links
The netgear IP setting is the first IP setting under LAN IP setup, you need to leave that one alone. That router should be set to DHCP off.

The 2nd router (you do not say what make/model - they have different settings).

You need to connect to this one by cable - perhaps disable the other one first.

Its IP setting will be in a similar location if you can access the setup.

Set it to something like 192.168.0.250

If you call the SSID the same with the same password on both then no matter where you are you will have wifi access.

When you say DHCP off you say that straight after saying leave the IP alone on the Netgear router but don't you mean DHCP should be off on the 2nd router (which is a Belkin by the way)?

Also what should I do about channels, the same on both or different to each other?

Back