How to put up a curtain rail between an open plan kitchen and living room? Where to connect brackets?

If you read his posts he only wants one curtain.

Yep. Is there any chance you could explain how to connect the brackets (the ones in your link from earlier) to the side walls? Can I just drill into the walls and screw them in, or do I need to use plastic wall plugs?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'corded systems'? Do you have any examples, and are they available for 1 big curtain or only 2 curtain setups?

where you pull a string to open or shut the curtains.

examples

1656763975405.png

yes

yes

Last edited:
He means the curtain I think, typically the curtains you buy are one sided, the good side facing into the room but then I don't think you'll be able buy a 3m+ curtain off the shelf anyway so you'll also need get handy with a sewing machine or pay for some to be made or get one from a proper curtain room divider supplier.

Sponsored Links
The type Mottie mentioned are ideal for what you want, there is lots available, google ceiling curtain tracks, you could also have a split in centre to make it easier to enter the kitchen and still push to one side, and available in white so not too noticeable on ceiling.

Yep. Is there any chance you could explain how to connect the brackets (the ones in your link from earlier) to the side walls? Can I just drill into the walls and screw them in, or do I need to use plastic wall plugs?
Well depends on the walls, timber studs or masonry? If timber and there's a handy stud (and one directly opposite of course) then simple wood screws. If there are studs but not opposite then a less simple approach would need to be taken Perhaps you need to do some wall investigations .....

Otherwise screws and plugs for masonry.

He means the curtain I think, typically the curtains you buy are one sided, the good side facing into the room but then I don't think you'll be able buy a 3m+ curtain off the shelf anyway so you'll also need get handy with a sewing machine or pay for some to be made or get one from a proper curtain room divider supplier.
Easy to get green screen fabric in large size

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
my thoughts
lightweight and often folded wont give a reasonable surface without some sort off tension or weigh
it will also be prone to movement with the lightest off airflow
but fully a guess based on life in general ;)

Most cheap green screens are very light weight. So a 25mm or so key clamp would be fine
you might even find a 3m shower pole would do.
do you really need to cover the entire area?
you could Consider a pop up lastolite style as they tend to be wrinkle free

i hate green screen curtains. One place I worked had a £3k humungus one that I hated with a vengeance. It wrinkled if you so much looked at it. It was a natural fabric

polyester is best if you want a wrinkle free system
bear in mind that the above doesn’t include the support system

what’s your budget?

Last edited:
Most cheap green screens are very light weight. So a 25mm or so key clamp would be fine
you might even find a 3m shower pole would do.
do you really need to cover the entire area?
you could Consider a pop up lastolite style as they tend to be wrinkle free

i hate green screen curtains. One place I worked had a £3k humungus one that I hated with a vengeance. It wrinkled if you so much looked at it. It was a natural fabric

polyester is best if you want a wrinkle free system
bear in mind that the above doesn’t include the support system

what’s your budget?

Thanks for the info/suggestions. I'm not sure exactly what my budget is, but it can stretch to whatever a decent green screen costs.

Ceiling mounted curtain track , corded. Will take one curtain, even very heavy curtains .

Thanks for the suggestion. How would I attach a ceiling mounted curtain track to the ceiling, and can you get them 3.3m wide? And how do I make it corded with a green screen?

corded curtain track is made, rather than converted.
I have a John Lewis track on my front and rear curtains but it's only 2.5M

you might have to fix wooden blocks to the ceiling first as this is supposed to fix above a window reveal.
you could search for a 3 M wide roller blind.

I guess that you are aware that "Green screen" is actually chromakey/CSO (Colour Separation Overlay) ?
basically although green is chosen for technical reasons along with it being an unlikely colour to clash with costume/human skin tone, Any colour can be used. The trick is to not choose a colour that clashes/matches with the item that you need to isolate.

You could buy a 3M roll of colorama

corded curtain track is made, rather than converted.

Do you mean it's has to be custom made to the length, rather than me cutting it to length myself?

I have a John Lewis track on my front and rear curtains but it's only 2.5M

That doesn't appear to be a ceiling mounted curtain track, no?

you might have to fix wooden blocks to the ceiling first as this is supposed to fix above a window reveal.
you could search for a 3 M wide roller blind.

That's a possibility, yes.

I guess that you are aware that "Green screen" is actually chromakey/CSO (Colour Separation Overlay) ?
basically although green is chosen for technical reasons along with it being an unlikely colour to clash with costume/human skin tone, Any colour can be used. The trick is to not choose a colour that clashes/matches with the item that you need to isolate.

Yep.

You could buy a 3M roll of colorama

I've never heard of 'colorama', but from the link it appears to be some sort of cardboard. I am assuming it will be quite durable and have no wrinkles? I am trying to avoid having green screen stands at either end because they take up too much floor space, hence why I'd prefer a wall or ceiling mounted curtain rail of some sort. I wonder if it's possible to put that colorama cardboard green screen on a curtain rail then?

The corded tracks are made to be operated by cord.
mine are adjustable between a inimum and maximum length.
yes they are wall mounted, but most tracks are, unless you buy theatrical track.

colorama is a brand name but is a sort of durable cartridge paper supplied on a roll.
The idea is that for fashion shoots, you might have a white roll, on a cardboard tube, pulled to the floor, then allowed to form a curve, then it covers the floor.

the curve gives no indication of depth - often called an “infinity curve”as you can’t percieve where the floor finishes or the wall starts. The part that gets damaged by being walked on normally gets thrown away, the roll carefully rolled up and used again.

for you, you could carefully roll down to the floor and tape it, rolling back for tension.
a simple 3M long wardrobe style pole could support the paper as the tube it comes on is quite solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back