How to raise a garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently in the planning stage of converting part of my integral garage in to a utiltiy and downstairs toilet. Approx 2m by 2.5m.

I have spoken with the builing office and they are happy with my insualtion plans for the internal walls and loft space. However a question I have is how best to raise the floor level in the garage.

The floor is concrete and is level, but of a rough finish, no signs of damp so it seems to have a DPC, certainly all the surrounding garage walls do.
I need to raise the floor about 150mm (including floor finishes). I have seen the option of DPM, then rigid insulation boards with T&G boards on top, but not sure hopw sturdy this would be.

Is there an alternative, say by fixing timber joists to the concrete floor and then insualting between and how would this work?

I am scratching my head slightly with this one as there are so many different examples online, just want some ideas from people who know really! Buidling regs are happy with insualion and then floor finish over the top, but I'd like an alterantive if there is one!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
problem is from what I've read is that any joists must have a 150mm air gap under them, so the floor would end up being too high.

The space between the concrete and the underside of the boards just needs to be full filled with insul.

Sponsored Links
75mm of foam insulation, then 75mm of screed... nice floor to tile onto for the bathroom and utility..

problem is from what I've read is that any joists must have a 150mm air gap under them.

Well stop reading that nonsense then :rolleyes: :cool:

No air gaps = no condensation, so lay the membrane and fill the voids completely with insulation. Use treated timber though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back