How to re-tile on to a wooden bathroom window sill/recess?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some tiles that have popped off on the vertical side of a bathroom window recess. I've remove all the tiles along this edge and noticed the recess was finished with some cheap wood(looks like chipboard) and the the tiles simply tiled on top of it. As the wood has got wet and swelled the tiles have popped off. The wood is a bit rotten around areas where its had constant exposure to wet.

1) How do I re-tile on top of this wood. Should I replace the wood, if so what with? Would ply wood suffice as i've already got some spare?

2) I'm not sure how the original plank of wood was fastened so not sure whats behind it as i cant see any screws. If i use use plywood how would you screw it to the wall i.e what type/length screws.

3) what type of tile adhesive and grout do i need to use. I alread bought some everbuild 702 waterproof acrylic tile adhesive and everbuild foreverwhite mould resistant grout not knowing what the backing surface of these tiles were. Is the above tile adhesive and grout adequate to tile on to wood, or do i need some other type of tile adhesive?

4) Also is there a quick tip or technique to get the old adhesive off the tiles. Currently ive placed all the tiles in to a bucket of water to soak.

Any advice and tips to quickly get the above job done would be much appreciated. Its a small job about 1m x 15cm tiling, what seemed like a quick job has now turned into a bigger job.

Sponsored Links
Dig out any timber and make good sill with patching plaster , you need a sound surface to tile, timber is less than ideal. You adhesive and grout are ok for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back