How to rectify this godawful plasterboard bodge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another issue to solve in the house that I've bought :LOL:

It doesn't look too big in the photo, but this is a pretty large protuding plasterboard bodge that's somehow been fixed into the wall of our lounge. Originally I was seeing if I could smooth over the edges with polyfilla (see the top) and it hasn't worked too badly. But for a proper finish, I think it'll need to come out.

Is there a standard process for doing this? It looks like some kind of patching job is needed, but the previous owner couldn't do this without it sticking out for whatever reason.

(And for anyone wondering.. the marks are from our bulldog who has to rub his tear ducts against something :love: It all gets cleaned regularly, but there didn't seem much point for as long as there's this plastering s**tshow!)

Lounge Bump.jpg

Sponsored Links
My guess is there's something behind there stopping the board fitting flush to the wall.

You'll need to cut that lot out then establish what's stopping you getting a piece of board at the correct level for skimming

My guess is there's something behind there stopping the board fitting flush to the wall.

You'll need to cut that lot out then establish what's stopping you getting a piece of board at the correct level for skimming

Thanks and you might well be right.. but knowing the previous owner, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he somehow found a thicker board than the wall's and just stuck it in there!

I guess my key question is: Assuming I've removed the blockage first, how do you get a piece of board back in there?

Do you need to attach it to a stud (in which case what if there isn't one there)? Do you cut it to the right size, squeeze it in and then plaster over it? I'm completely new to plasterboard and plastering in general, so I wouldn't even necessarily know the right terms to look up for a job like this.

All help appreciated!

Take that board off and have look. Post another photo of whats behind it.

Sponsored Links
DIYer
Get it out and have a look.

If you want a cheapish DIY fix
Plasterboard can be stuck on with plasterboard adhesive or plasterboard adhesive foam. Foam ideal for smaller jobs.
Jointing compound and paper tape over the joints followed by more jointing compound to feather the joint out.
Plasterboard is not very tough and will dent/mark more easily than a skim finish.

Proper way to do it.
Undercoat/bonding plaster followed by a skim.
Skimming is a skill I have not mastered but have had some great results using the DIY method.

PS. Where is the other half of the radiator cover? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back