first time plastering - how to plaster on to a brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok im new here, looking to learn how to plaster.

ive recently moved into a new house (which is quite old) and while trying to decorate it seems alot of jobs have been bodged. i can sort most of it but in one room, in the process of taking the wallpaper off a bit of the wall has blown, which resulted in a fair amount just crumbling off. ive knocked all of the crumbling plaster off, which leaves about half of the wall exposed brick (from the middle upwards) and half plastered. the area is about 1m x 3m.
i cant get a plasterer in due to the one i used before being booked up for a while, and the very few available charging ridiculous prices for a relatively small job.
ive done patch repairs on a wall before but nothing near this size. would it be possible to do it myself? or is it a bit too much for a beginner?
ive tried looking it up online but it seems most tutorials are for plasterboard.
can anyone run me through how to do it? thanks

Sponsored Links
It is something you would need to learn, difficult to explain via text. These days, it is not unusual to knock back to bare brick/block and dot'n'dab plasterboards, ready to skim.

As PBoD says, it's very difficult to put into words, but so easy to demonstrate. If you do strip the wall of plaster and go down the dot and dab route, get the old brickwork scratch coated first with a 4 sand, 1 of cement render mix, with a waterproofer/plasticiser added to the mix.I'd do that too even if i was going to float and set the wall with Hardwall or Bonding Coat, then multi finish. You could even double up on the scratch coat with topcoat render, then skim with multi. Lastly, why not batten the wall, insulate, then board with 12.5mm foil backed plasterboard, then skim. There's a few options there, some of it you could maybe do yourself with help, but i think the plastering will always need to be done by a competent plasterer. If i lived nearer, (500/600 miles away), i would have easily given you a good few hours of my time to show you some basics of how to float and set a wall,,, honestly. ;)

Sponsored Links
Op, have a sniff on youtube - there's normally a few vids on there. The pros might not agree, but i'd be inclined to seal the brickwork and surrounding area with diluted pva. Makes life a whole lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back