how to reduce boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I have a problem with my Vokera boiler. Normally the pressure is at 1 bar (it should be between 0.5 and 1.5) but on Friday the pressure suddenly went up significantly. I have no idea why. Now the pressure is at 2 bar when the hot water and central heating are switched off, but it increases to almost 3 bar when the system is switched on and when I take a shower.

How can I reduce the pressure back to 1bar?

Thanks!

Marlen

Sponsored Links
drain some water out via a drain off on one of the radiators , if no drain offs undo a nut and let some water out either on a rad or on the boiler, ps it looks like your expansion vessel is depressuriesed or completely kn ackered.

Thank you, I will try this as soon as I get home!!!

On a related matter: my gas usage for the last three months has been incredibly high according to my bill and metre. It has more than tripled compared to the same period last year.
My heating habits haven't changed at all though, I am very careful not to use too much gas. Could the pressure problem with the boiler lead to more gas usage? What other problems could be the reason for such a huge increase in gas usage?
I am thankful for any suggestion!!!

Marlen

If the pressure when the boiler is completely cold has risen then it’s possible the filling loop is leaking OR hasn’t been turned off completely – disconnect the hose and check for leaks. Expansion vessel failure usually shows up when the pressure rises to 3 or so bar when running and causes the PRV to open but when cold is normal (around 1 bar).

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to suggest anything to explain a tripling of your gas consumption. You really need a competent gas engineer to check a few things like meter outlet pressure, gas rate of boiler, leakage from boiler or system, etc.

Thank you all for your help. I have finally managed to convince my landlady to send someone round to check the boiler and CH.

Marlen

marlen80 said:
Thank you, I will try this as soon as I get home!!!

On a related matter: my gas usage for the last three months has been incredibly high according to my bill and metre. It has more than tripled compared to the same period last year.
My heating habits haven't changed at all though, I am very careful not to use too much gas. Could the pressure problem with the boiler lead to more gas usage? What other problems could be the reason for such a huge increase in gas usage?
I am thankful for any suggestion!!!

Marlen

have you not heard the price of gas as trippled

B.O.B Dull said:
have you not heard the price of gas as trippled
It hasn't tripled in price, or anything like it. In any case Marlen referred to the tripling of his gas usage, not the bill.

havent you heard chris? gas has tripled in size too.thats why his meter is clocking up 3 times the amount!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back