how to reduce water pressure in kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ,
water pressure in my kitchen tap is very high, HOT Water &cold water , when i open tap, water splashed back on the floor. i can reduce the water pressure by turning the knob slightly but then boiler does not comes on.it seems i need to open the knob more than half way for the boiler to comes on for me to get hot water. i got a glow worm swiftflow 75/80 boiler right next to the kitchen sink.
when asked a plumber he tried to reduce the pressure by closeing the main cold water supply valve slightly but then boiler does not comes on. he left without a definate answer.

any idea ?
would fitting a isolating valve under the hot water tap do the trick?

Sponsored Links
The only way to reduce pressure is with a pressure reducing valve.
With any other type of valve you are just restricing flow.
Flow and pressure are different things but not unrelated.
By maintaining system pressure and reducing the flow by restriction you are likely to get increased noise from the pipework.

Sponsored Links
To stop the splash back effect you need to reduce the flow rate DO NOT do this by partial closing of ball-o-fix valves, this causes noise, what you should fit are Cottam & Preedy CP961 valves, these cost about £10.00 each, they are a combined ball-0-fix valve and regulator, they only allow the correct flow rate to pass and so prevent the splash back effect without the noise that closing normal ball-o-fix valve cause, I would use the CP961R08XL_C15 valve, this is 15mm compression, for a sink you want between 4 - 8 litres a minute, the valve I have suggested is 8 l/min the good thing about these valves is if you find the flow unsatisfactory, you simply change the cartridge, not the valve, a 5 minute job.
Here is a link http://www.cottamandpreedy.co.uk/productdetail.php?prPgId=148

To stop the splash back effect you need to reduce the flow rate DO NOT do this by partial closing of ball-o-fix valves, this causes noise, what you should fit are Cottam & Preedy CP961 valves, these cost about £10.00 each, they are a combined ball-0-fix valve and regulator, they only allow the correct flow rate to pass and so prevent the splash back effect without the noise that closing normal ball-o-fix valve cause, I would use the CP961R08XL_C15 valve, this is 15mm compression, for a sink you want between 4 - 8 litres a minute, the valve I have suggested is 8 l/min the good thing about these valves is if you find the flow unsatisfactory, you simply change the cartridge, not the valve, a 5 minute job.

where do i fit this valve , just below the hot water tap or other place?

you might also be able to get a Tap Flow Reducing Aerator kit, complete with a plastic spanner, free from your water company.

The order will be handled by http://www.savewatersavemoney.com/ on behalf of the water co.s it is called a Twin Tap Insert Kit SWSM3069 or Wash Basin Tap Inserts. For a kitchen Mixer you want the Miracle Tap Spray

worth a try

where do i fit this valve , just below the hot water tap or other place?

Yes, you fit these valves on the hot and cold to the tap, they double up a service valves as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back