How to reduce water pressure to one tap (noisy ceramic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, replaced cloakroom taps with quarter turn ceramics. Hot tap works fine but the cold tap (mains fed) is very noisy unless it is fully opened. If you turn on other cold taps at the same time then the noise is not so bad - I am thinking the pressure at the tap is too high.

The taps are connected directly to the supply pipes without any sort of isolation valves as there is no room to fit valves.

QUESTION: if I get a plumber to re-route the pipework and fit isolation valves then can I reduce the pressure to the tap by closing the isolation value slightly and is this likely to solve the problem? or is this a problem I will not solve without going back to the old washer type taps which worked fine.

Thank you very much indeed for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Closing the isolation valve won't reduce the pressure, just the flow, if you have high pressure you may find closing the valve may just make the valve noisy. You either need a pressure reducing valve or a proper flow limiting valve

Closing the isolation valve won't reduce the pressure, just the flow, if you have high pressure you may find closing the valve may just make the valve noisy. You either need a pressure reducing valve or a proper flow limiting valve

Hi muggles - thank you for the info. Please excuse my ignorance but does a flow limiting value fit in the pipe in the same way as in isolation valve and is this the recommended way to solve this problem. I am going to get a qualified plumber in to sort this but just wanted to find out the recommended solution in advance - thank you very much indeed for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice - we have actually replaced the tap with another one (same model) and the noise is greatly reduced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back