How to refill my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with how to refill my boiler? It’s a Worcester 40cdi and pressure is low after bleeding some radiators.
I assumed it would be the braided hose in the picture, but adjusting the black valve and/or the silver screw on those doesn’t seem to do anything?

Attachments

• IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5420.jpeg
    IMG_5420.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
That should work, when you rotate the black plastic tap make sure the spindle also turns. Quite often the handle breaks internally.
From your picture they are both shut.

Have opened both - per picture attached - and can’t hear any water going in, or see any change in pressure gauge. Have also checked that the spindle is also turning (ie black tap is not broken)

Attachments

• IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 31
Looking at the arrow on the ISO then it may be pressure reducing valve (PRV) is connected to the mains so , open the PRV to say around 2 bar. Then you'll turn the ISO valve with the screwdriver slot so the slot is in line with the valve, that's it open. Then slowly open the black valve until the system fills, then close it all down by doing the reverse.

Sponsored Links
I presume the PRV is the one below (/on) the gauge? Have tried adjusting that and it doesn’t seem to do anything.

The black tap looks like it has cold mains pressure, remove the braided hose there and very slowly open the black tap, does water come out? Have a towel handy

The black tap looks like it has cold mains pressure, remove the braided hose there and very slowly open the black tap, does water come out? Have a towel handy
You wouldn't normally have a PRV, running the wrong way on an filling loop inlet to a CH system. The pipe (black valve) runs down to the connection for the EV @ the pressure relief valve coupler. That would be a typical area to connect the loop to fill the system.

Thanks for the replies - all working now!

I removed the hose and slowly opened the silver screw (with a towel handy!) and water came out. Figured the black valve must be blocked / not opening properly so had a play around with that (took plastic off, turned spindle back and forth, poked something in the end to try and clear any blockage…) then reconnected and it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back