How to remedy ceiling paint peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, the paint on the kitchen ceiling is peeling off in some areas. What would be the best way to deal with this? I was thinking of scraping back the loose bits and priming with something like Zinsser BIN before filling the bumpy areas and then applying a topcoat. I just want to make sure it doesn’t start peeling again when I’m finished.

For context: It started happening after my Dad repainted the ceiling without sugar soaping first so it may be due to the paint not adhering because of grease. But there were some leaks from the upstairs flat at one point too, so maybe it had to do with that instead.

8E34F543-B54A-4990-BBDA-0726A3745CD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Good afternoon Jmax, take all the flaking off using a scraper, mist coat with a light Matt Emulsion colour and include some pva bond to reseal the ceiling. The mist coat when dry will show up any blemishes and at this point fill them with a suitable filler, when dry rub down and Finish with a couple of top coats. Hope this helps.

Thank you Johnny, what ratio of PVA:water:emulsion should I use?

Sponsored Links
£3.99 at b and m bargains.

Attachments

• D94BD805-F867-4FE2-8772-CA113D3F201F.jpeg
    D94BD805-F867-4FE2-8772-CA113D3F201F.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 203
  • E87BBF4C-6E97-40FD-B291-2FD9302D073D.jpeg
    E87BBF4C-6E97-40FD-B291-2FD9302D073D.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 218
Don’t PVA, scrape every flakey part off so it looks good. Fill any holes, light sand and then repaint.

the ceiling might also suffer from condensation, from cooking steam, if an extractor (not a recycling) cooker hood is not used. I find vinyl silk is reasonably resistant, but some matt white ceiling paints, not so tough.

(don't put PVA glue on any surface you hope to paint. It softens when damp, and dissolves in water)

Hi Jmax, sorry for the conflicting information you seem to be attracting so just to put the record straight what are your other options read this and a reference from top tradesmen :
Good morning Angler, and all the no no noers.The advice and tips I give to people are derived from over 45 years of being in the building trade, when there was no internet and apprenticeships lasted 6 years before you got your qualifications. A time when you multi tasked across different trades to broaden your knowledge rather than looking on google. However I do find that in this matter that I must defend my advice to Angler in the following way. Proper plasterers from the old school would assist the decorators on new build sites back in the day. This came as a tip to mist coat using an equally diluted mixture of white pva and water this was then added to an equally diluted mixture of water and white or magnolia Matt emulsion, as long as the walls have completely dried out you will never have an issue with this advice. I have used this method on hundreds of properties and never been back to one. That’s a fact.

Attachments

• 56F6DFA0-6794-4A2F-8DE4-E20B831C637C.png
    56F6DFA0-6794-4A2F-8DE4-E20B831C637C.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 211

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back