How to remove a kitchen cabinet base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I need to remove this shelf and lower it a few cms to fit a new larger oven

It doesn't simply lift up and I cant find or reach where it is attached.

Does any one know how these cabinets fit together and the easiest way to move this shelf?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is probably joined by glue and dowels, then by cams which are accessed from underneath.

0camlocknuts-02.jpg

You call it a shelf. It isn't a shelf. It's the base of the cabinet. If you take it out the cabinet will collapse. Where are you hoping to attach it to? It is already right at the bottom of the cabinet sides.

Being the base, if the cabinet was factory built (not flatpack) it might not come out unless you saw the cabinet apart.

Yes sorry, the base.

It was flat packed from ikea.

The sides are screwed to the adjacent cabinets. Also they're not bearing any weight.

I thought I'd remove it and build a frame on the ground or get legs to support either it or a new piece of wood at a lower level.

Sounds like I'll have to saw it out then. I cant find a way to remove the skirting (if that's what it's called?) To get under it.

Thanjs

Sponsored Links
All built in ovens fit in a standard carcass , no adjustment should be needed .

Might be a built-in double, that won't fit a build-under cabinet.

@Halloween Jack
What are the dimensions of the oven, and of the cabinet?

When you say "oven" do you mean oven or do you mean cooker?

Buy an oven that fits that it will be a hell of a lot easier than what you are trying to do.

I had the same. Removed the carcass completely, and replaced with 2 end-panels, cutting back at the bottom to suit the ovens.

The ovens then fitted onto metal L sections each side, and I trimmed the plinth where needed below the ovens.

Sounds like you have a build-under, not a built in oven - basically the same but a built under is probably a double oven?

Sorry for the late replay...

It's a 'built under' double oven as opposed to a 'built in'.

It needs 720mm height gap.

I think my current gap is about 670mm.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back