how to remove a mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My kitchen tap is dripping, but I don't know how to take it off to change the washer. A photo is attached. Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
There is a screw in the hole at the centre of the knob. Hole can be seen in picture. Then pull knob off. Put plug in or may go down drain.
It will be a ceramic quarter turn (china) cartridge and there are many size types. You need the correct one so take the number off it and look up.
If you remove to look they sometimes fall apart as cracked so won't go back and work as it is. Always a risk that so plan for that. Might have to leave off until you get another.
Some diy stores sell but the chances of that particular one fitting and having the correct size for knob to go back on and fit is nearly zero.
You need to count the groves in the spindle and get one with the same number.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies. Is the screw behind the black thing on the knob? So shall I use a screw driver to pry the black thing out to see the screw?

Blue plastic lug.. Screw behind that to pull it off.
Same on other side which will be red

Hi all, I removed the knob, but couldn't remove the cartridge. I intended to take the cartridge to Screwfix to find the same one.

It's a hexagon nut that got stuck. I used a standard adjustable wrench, and it simply slipped (off with some metal granules from the nut) and the nut won't turn at all. Tried wd40 but no avail.

Any tips would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back