How to remove a pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ages ago i had a plumber and he took the pump off, it looked quite easy, and when he took it off a load of black crap was coming out of the pump, now hardly any of my radiators are working, i don't know if the pump could be blocked, so i was going to let all the black stuff out, is this easy enough to do? will water come out? anyhelp would be appreciated, heres the pump, could anyone tell me what i have to do?

1444k5u.jpg

Sponsored Links
**** power off shut off the two brass valves at either side(clockwise) put an old towel or bucket under pump and remove the allen keys slowly pull pump out of body.
Turn power off to boiler only now and sit pump with impellor up the way and turn on heat and hw and see if it spins round freely.
Alternatively and easier undo black screw on fron(anti clockwise and pull towards you turn on heat and hw and see if black screw turns freely or can be stopped by hand.

Tighten up the valves either side to isolate from system, undo nuts.

I would be careful with those valves, you may find they start to leak.

Harry

Sponsored Links
I would be careful with those valves, you may find they start to leak.

TBH I would be more concerned about undoing the rusted left hand pump nut rather than the valves leaking (not like those poxy ball-type ones with the screwdriver slot. :evil: )

unlikely your pump is blocked, it is your whole system that is full of sludge, the lower the pipes and rads, the more gunk will be in them.
clean the system first and if that does not solve the problem, you can swap the pump.
search forum on subject and read faq and wiki

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back