How to remove a wall and fit an RSJ?

Thanks guys :cool:

I've just spoken to a structural eng. firm. They could come round, inspect and give the beam size etc, for about £120+vat.

However, i then spoke to my local BCO to enquire about fees. He told me that he has a chart for standard beams and spans.
He says that so long as the work falls into these charts, there is no need for calcs to be done.
Gave him the details of my job and he said if i fit a 203x102mm @25.35kg/m there is no need for calcs.

I suppose given the trade off between calc costs and extra material cost for an 8" beam instead of a 6" i think it may just be prudent to use an8" beam.

He went further to talk about pad stones, being either concrete or blue brick, which they would need to see. What would you advise for this?

Once again, many thanks to all :cool:

Sponsored Links

I've just spoken to a structural eng. firm. They could come round, inspect and give the beam size etc, for about £120+vat.

However, i then spoke to my local BCO to enquire about fees. He told me that he has a chart for standard beams and spans.
He says that so long as the work falls into these charts, there is no need for calcs to be done.
Gave him the details of my job and he said if i fit a 203x102mm @25.35kg/m there is no need for calcs.

I suppose given the trade off between calc costs and extra material cost for an 8" beam instead of a 6" i think it may just be prudent to use an8" beam.

He went further to talk about pad stones, being either concrete or blue brick, which they would need to see. What would you advise for this?

there is no such steel size.. the man is living in the middle ages...

no such steel size...

no such steel size...

Someone made a booboo?

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/Product/0851183/Universal+Beam/203+X+102+X+23KG+S355JR

Sponsored Links
no such steel size......

It seems as though thats correct, it doesn't exist.

Doesn't that just fill you with confidence about my local BCO?

That is what the BCO chap told me, wrote it down then contacted a steel merchants in Derby. They told me the same thing - apparently, that weight is for the next size up in standard stock sizes (203mm?)

From the first conversation with the BCO (who was actually a pleasant fella) it seems that they have a chart (maybe to simplify/do away with calcs), he read that spec to me.

After realising the discrepancy, i rang the council back, this time got a differnet fella who i would describe as a stereo-typical council worker - really didn't want to talk to me, started going off on one about 'we're not a design service' - got my back up quote well, R-zole :mad: mAnaged to get by him and spoke to the first chap again, pointed out the error in his 'chart', and directed him to the steel suppliers web site where they have stock lists.

He said 'oops, looks like there's an error on my chart' :eek: :confused:

It makes me wonder what other data errors they have and how many people they have screwed because of it??? grrrr... :evil:

any-hoo, had a structural eng. round this morning, he gave the impression a 6"beam would probably be ok, but might close to requiring the next size up. Results of the calcs should be through middle of next week. :)

no such steel size......

It seems as though thats correct, it doesn't exist.

Doesn't that just fill you with confidence about my local BCO?

That is what the BCO chap told me, wrote it down then contacted a steel merchants in Derby. They told me the same thing - apparently, that weight is for the next size up in standard stock sizes (203mm?)

From the first conversation with the BCO (who was actually a pleasant fella) it seems that they have a chart (maybe to simplify/do away with calcs), he read that spec to me.

After realising the discrepancy, i rang the council back, this time got a differnet fella who i would describe as a stereo-typical council worker - really didn't want to talk to me, started going off on one about 'we're not a design service' - got my back up quote well, R-zole :mad: mAnaged to get by him and spoke to the first chap again, pointed out the error in his 'chart', and directed him to the steel suppliers web site where they have stock lists.

He said 'oops, looks like there's an error on my chart' :eek: :confused:

It makes me wonder what other data errors they have and how many people they have screwed because of it??? grrrr... :evil:

any-hoo, had a structural eng. round this morning, he gave the impression a 6"beam would probably be ok, but might close to requiring the next size up. Results of the calcs should be through middle of next week. :)

You're right they're not a design service, never have been, glad to hear you're paying for an SE instead of being a tight arse. It is listed in the Corus Structural Sections Book, it may not be stocked by every supplier but it is manufactured.

It is listed in the Corus Structural Sections Book, it may not be stocked by every supplier but it is manufactured.

Are you sure Fred? I've never seen it, and I've got the lastest update to the Blue book in front of me...

I took the OPs reference to a 203x102mm @25.35kg/m to being a typo. Anyone with a brain should have realised that...........
:evil: :LOL:

Christ, half the posts on the Forum by DIYers are full of typos, grammatical errors and ill informed terminology!

You're right they're not a design service, never have been, glad to hear you're paying for an SE instead of being a tight a**e. It is listed in the Corus Structural Sections Book, it may not be stocked by every supplier but it is manufactured.

I never thought they were, i was annoyed at the arrogant attitude of the bloke who decided to jump in and try to bend my ear when he wasn't aware of the details. There was no need for that at all.

BTW, i've never been a tight Rz, but money only goes so far and i need to save where i can - don't we all?
Like i said in an earlier post- happy to pay the going rate, just don't want to get ripped!

Part of the reason that i rang the BCO guy back, was that he said that sometimes calcs are not required. The chart he made reference to apparently has some kind of 'ready reckoner' to relate span width to beam required. He said if some work clearly falls into the scope of that chart, then the council don't require the beam size to be substantiated by SE calcs.

As i think this probably a bread and butter job for a builder, i may have just blown a couple of hundred quid un-necessarily (which almost makes me cry) but better safe than sorry i suppose

Anyway, thanks all :)

Am I being blind? Still can't see it...

Can see these two
Either a 203x102x23kg/m UB, or a 203x133x25kg/m UB.
but can't see a
203x102mm @25.35kg/m

Thats also what i found, albeit from this supplier:-

http://www.shawsmetals.co.uk/Steelstocks/ub.html

hence my confusion and second call to bco.

Freddy M/T - No, not a typo (perhaps from BCO, but not me)
I'll be the first to admit I'll never make an english teacher, but i like to think i can get the numbers and basic terms correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back