How to remove a wall and fit an RSJ?

I've no idea. :confused:

Do you think that the weight spec'd to 2d.p's might be of more importance on larger projects?

Sponsored Links
Any other UB's known to man that list their weight/m to a decimal point?

Well, no, I've never seen it, but then, why would you accidentally type 25.35, rather than a simple 23 or 25?

So all I did was go along with Geraint's post stating there's no such steel size...and then gave the two options that were similar...

Might be a bit of a stretch to have a tolerance on a steel section down to the nearest 50 grammes per metre I'll admit :confused:

Sponsored Links
cheers. Must say it seems friendlier here than it can be in the electrical forum.

You've met Ban All Sheds then?
lol, you could say that. Apparently i have to 'howl at the moon' to get any input from him anymore. Shame about that given how much i, erm, 'value' his opinions...:LOL:
Although, to give him credit, he is comedy gold when he goes off on one of his multi coloured cut/paste extravaganzas.

Did you read the one about the boolean logic truth tables regarding lawnmowing? PMSL

Did you read the one about the boolean logic truth tables regarding lawnmowing? PMSL

Haven't seen it but I'll be sure to look it up :)

Have to admit, I've always been too scared to ask novice questions on the electrical forum because of some of the responses I've seen other people get!

Haven't seen it but I'll be sure to look it up :)
lol, don't bother, reading that will be 30 minutes of your life that you'll never get back and im sure, given time, we'll see more examples equally as disconnected from reality. It was funny though.
Have to admit, I've always been too scared to ask novice questions on the electrical forum because of some of the responses I've seen other people get!

haha, we're not all like that. Some of us go outside the house daily and actually 'talk to', not just 'type at' other humans. Theres nowt so strange as folk, eh?

well, just had the calculations back, instructions read:-

beam : adopt 152 x 89 x 16UB, weight 46kg

check capacity of brick pier : adopt 200 length x 100 width (t) 20N/mm^2 brickwork in mortar M4

single padstone : padstone not required.

All sounds good, maybe my neighbour is old school through and through, build it to last! Nothing wrong with being cautious. :)

Does 'brick pier' mean the same as what i referred to as 'nibs'?

adopt 200 length x 100 width (t) 20N/mm^2 brickwork in mortar M4
Yeah, the pier is the nib that will be left to sit the beam on.

Do they know it's 20N brick in M4 mortar or is this an assumption? Presumably this is the existing brickwork?

single padstone : padstone not required.
If you aren't using a padstone make sure the beam has something smooth and firm to sit on such as some drypack or an engineering brick.

Are they happy that lateral stability isn't an issue?

Hi RRG

i chose a local company and got the guy to come round and see for himself. Rather than me (badly) drawing sketches, i thought id present him with a 1:1 scale 3D model :)

So i hope he is satisfied with everything, certainly hasn't said otherwise.

Yes, its existing brickwork. What does M4 represent?

M4 is the mortar designation. Usually 1 cement, and 5 or 6 sand, sometimes with a shovelful of lime added. The 4 stands for the compressive strength; should be 4N/mm2 at 28 days.

So i hope he is satisfied with everything, certainly hasn't said otherwise.
I don't think you've got anything to worry about, good luck with the project :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back