How to remove gold colour from uPVC door and window handles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm not the biggest fan of how uPVC windows and doors look, but we've decided to keep the ones in our new house and pimp them up to make them look a little more to our taste.

I think the biggest difference we can make will be losing the gold handles. I've tried googling but to be honest I'm not sure what material these handles are, and what type of finish it is... So any pointers on that would be a helpful starter.

On top of that, any advice on how to remove the gold by mechanical or chemical means would also be very helpful. I wouldn't want to leave them unprotected though, or vulnerable to rust. My ideal would be a dull silver finish, like unpolished tarnished silver or pewter. If that's not possible, then perhaps I'll look to paint them if that's doable.

Plan C will be to replace them, but perhaps that's a thread for another day.

I've attached a photo of one of the handles.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Window Handle - Gold.jpg
    Window Handle - Gold.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 507
Sponsored Links
There are plastic covers on the handle which the screws are hidden under , just flick them off with a small screwdriver

Handles are normally metal and usually fairly cheap to replace , but normally only available in white or gold , if you want any other colour spraying them after you have removed them would give you a decent finish as long as you prep them properly first

Cheap to replace in a variety of colours and styles, have black on my windows .

Sponsored Links
Just replace them.

If you want pewter or antique satin chrome try reddiseals or fromtheanvil.

You need to look at espagnolette window handles and multipoint door handles.

For more modern looking ones choose satin or brushed stainless (not shiny).
Mila, hoppe, etc etc.

OK, thanks for the replies - I'll take a look and see what's out there. Hopefully I'll find something I like.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back