How to remove old radiator permanently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are pictures of the radiator and the TRV below. The wheel valve is off but the pipe is hot. The pipe where the TRV is is cold and it's switched off I suppose. There isn't a "0" but if I turn it all the way to the right which is "defrost" it gets really hot. So I turned it all the way to the left hand side after 1*2*3*4*5 .Can I slacken off the nut and drain It safely? I bought 2 end caps to seal the openings :) :p

Attachments

• 207911.jpg
    207911.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 20170401_135953.jpg
    20170401_135953.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 748
  • 20170401_135902.jpg
    20170401_135902.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 372
Sponsored Links
If the system is vented/gravity feed (eg stored water in loft tanks) then the water inlet will need isolating or water will still flow.
If system is unvented (eg combi-boiler) Then turning the water will not need to be isolated.

When refilling makes sure the system is fully vented/bled for air. Also reintroduce an inhibitor, if system water is dirty then, do a chemical clean for a couple of days, prior to draining down again and then introduce inhibitor.

if it is to be permanently removed. Yes turn boiler off, drain system down, remove valves and ideal cap off, below floor.
Good answer, but the original Q. mentioned the rad was "in an old mental hospital" ( and in gen. diy) So I replied and suggested the plumbing forum - 2 reasons, 1 it must be a large system. 2 I am not familiar with that remote sensor/ removing it possibly getting a decorators cap, then capping the stubs to the rad. The original is still in General DIY.

Sponsored Links
the original Q. mentioned the rad was "in an old mental hospital" ( and in gen. diy) So
Nige F, I was unaware of the original post, it does make the answer a little different as this should be carried out by a skilled person, as it could be more tricky than DIY

I am not familiar with that remote sensor/ removing it
The sensor should be easily removed, but again best done by skilled person in this case

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back