How to remove press-on mount cabinet hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am trying to replace my cabinet hinges as they are very old. However the mounting cups of those don't have any screws, but are press on plastic cups. I have no clue how to take them out, I tried everything but they seem stuck.

Is there a way to take them out easily? Attaching image of the hinge.

Thanks
rsz_20170117_224919.jpg

Sponsored Links
I remember some old MFI units I had were a push in barbed fit, try unscrewing at the cupboard side, loosen the centre screw in the slot pull forward till it will pass through the hole you might need to tweak the adjusting screw next to it a bit if it is at the end if its travel. Then try spinning the hinge if there are hidden screws it will not budge in which case there will be some sort of prise off cover. If it spins rotate and gently pull with luck it will come out albeit with a bit of damage around the hole.

Am able to get the door out by unscrewing the hinges as shown in the pic. But, the plastic mount-cup on the door has no screws on it. I tried my best to pry it out of position, but no luck. It does not moves or spins.

Any easy way to get that out?

Sponsored Links
:)

Thanks, will give it another try. I've been using a chisel I borrowed off a friend. It doesn't looks too strong. Would you recommend any other tool for it? Or just a stronger chisel?

Something wide and flat, maybe start off very small to get it a gap going and work up to something bigger. Maybe placing a stanley blade or equivalent against the wood to try to avoid denting it.

Might have a couple of lugs stopping it spinning as said a nice wide chisel should shift it, start where the hinge pin is and work round like getting a paint lid off.

Thanks folks! A little bit hard pull with a chisel gave it away. It indeed had two plastic lugs holding it in place.

Now I have another problem: the plastic lugs have left a rather large hole in it and the new hinges I want to install have their screw positions right on the edge of that hole. So, I need to somehow *fill up* those holes and then screw the new hinge.

Any inputs on how that can be done or if there's another way (no, I cannot buy a new cabinet door just for this )

Thanks
20170123_214729.jpg

Glue a bit of dowel in the hole, cut off flush when set and away you go.(y)

Now you know peg positions you could drill them out on any more you need to remove.

Hi Mike,

Those plates seem to be for the cabinet side screw holes, my problem is on the door side. I don't want to cover the mounting cup hole, just the screw holes adjoining it.

Also, the second option might not work too as the new hinge screws are not exactly aligned to the old holes, they are a tad bit off.

Just wanted to get back on this, I was able to fix this with a 10 mm dowel and wood glue, the whole thing worked a charm!

Thanks a bunch for the inputs guys! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back