How to remove/reseat double glazing in wooden frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a few double glazing panels to replace. I've removed the external beading ok, but the panel is solid in the recess, and the putty that I can see is also rock solid.

What's the best way to remove this panel? Prise it from the inside, or "gently" tap it with a rubber mallet?

When it is removed, what's the best way to reseal it? I've read NOT linseed oil putty? Can anyone point me towards the right product.

Thanks to all in advance, any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Actually you' do better using these
and filling the gaps between with silicone or similar. You'd probably manage to buy a few from a local glazier...pinenot :)

Thanks for the reply.

There's seems to be a few methods of putting the new panel in:

1 - Butyl 66 glazing compound in the recess, then neutral cure silicon around the edges of the panel, then beading pinned on.

2 - flexistrip/security tape on the recess, then silicon around again, beading pinned on.

3 - silicon recess and same as above.

Advice on the best way to go?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like you have enough room for glazing tapes, Even 1mm tape will bring the beads out further.

Probably have to just use silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back